flip side of having special needs kids in regular classrooms adult content

I hear a lot about wanting special needs kids to be accepted, and I agree.
what I don't agree with is pushing the issue so much that everyone suffers.

My much younger brother had a special needs girl in his class who one day got nude and started masturbating right in class. most if not all of her day was spent feeding her cookies and the like so that she would stay quiet- otherwise she would scream.
when the kids tried to have a play, she would run around the room screaming.
yet when her brother had a special awards banquet, his sister was ironically not there.
It all seemed to me to be a matter of forcing a situation, I don't see how it promoted acceptance. If anything the other students resented the situation.
I don't see how feeding a child cookies to keep her quiet did her any good. seemed like something the parents pushed for to make them feel better.

that's off my chest-

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yeah I totally see where you are coming from.
    I think special needs should be in the classroom as long as they can get something out of the class as well.
    Feeding her cookies..and or letting her even attempt takin her clothes of let alone masterbate..{which should never have happened in my eyes} is not her getting anything from the class.

If a child needs special classes and attention which it appears she does its okay to give it them theres no reason the parents should feel "bad" about her being in a special needs class, espcially if she really needs the attention it would probablly be better for her.
    Im sorry you little brother has to deal with this in his learning environment which is the most important.
    kyliemaynard

Answer by kyliemaynard at 4:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Well,thats an EXTREME case. most of the kids just need an aide to redirect them. My son has autism and is in 3rd grade this year and just started being in reg ed full time. I hope your attitude doesn't include children like mine.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I have a brother who has aphasia. And he was in a regular class setting. In fact he was the most behaved child in his class, you could say he is smart in the way of rainman. My brother can memorize and retain information for longer periods of time than most normal children, a photographic memory.
    This is what put him in a regular class, that and the fact he graduated at 16 from high school.
    So it really should depend on the individual child!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 4:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• butterflyblue19 thats wonderful! congrats to your son
    tryin2BGOOD - honestly i think people with special needs can be the smartest of all!..They can be truely amazing!
    kyliemaynard

Answer by kyliemaynard at 4:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My little brother is special needs and would not do well in a regular classroom (although not to the point of the girl you are talking about). I think there should be less worry of being PC and more attention to each child individually.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i second what scout mom said
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 4:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My question is Where was the teacher OR TSS when she was stripping & why wasn't it stopped BEFORE it got to that point??? The fact of her eating cookies or she would scream I say the parents did not teach her how to deal without that crutch!
    mom18103

Answer by mom18103 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• "I hope your attitude doesn't include children like mine. "
    no it doesn't. like I said, this girl would mainly scream. the only thing she seemed to do all day was run around and eat cookies.
    I found the whole situation to be sad for everyone. Couldn't see how this girl would make progress in a situation like that.
    not fair to anyone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• "My question is Where was the teacher OR TSS when she was stripping & why wasn't it stopped BEFORE it got to that point??? "
    from what I heard the teacher was teaching the classroom and the aid that was normally with this girl was off having her break.
    mind you I don't hold this little girl responsible, it was a case of a situation being totally mishandled to say the least.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2010