Have you ever wanted to say something to someone you saw hitting their child?

I was in Wal-mart yesterday (go figure, right?), and this guy walks up to his son, who was in the cart, and smacked him SO hard on the side of his head. Apparently, the kid was being too noisy, but I didn't hear anything. I knew it was none of my business, but I so wanted to say something to the guy! However, I knew if I did, I would end up telling his a$$ off.

Have you ever said anything to a parent over witnessing something like this?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 4:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I have on more than one occasion, been told off but did not care, I had to point out and hopefully make them think the next time.

Answer by older at 4:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Never said anything, but sure do give them that look like "ignorant ass parents"!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 4:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• yes! a close friend of mine is always swearing at and spanking her 4 year old daughter, for the dumbest reasons! i keep my mouth shut because it's no business of mine, but it irritates me so!!!!!!!!! i know she does it because SHE is more frustrtated at the matter and her kid is not deserving of half of those spanks and curses!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I don't agree with your comment that it's obvious it was at Walmart. Some walmarts you expect a certain type of people, but not all walmarts are like that. It's kind of wrong to assume that.

Anyhow. Yes. I think that a lot of parents treat their children horribly and for the silliest things too.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I am pretty sure if I saw someone hitting their child in the head I would call the cops. Glad I have never seen that.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 4:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• yep. this kid was in a cart, and part of it was coming down on his leg. the mom kept smacking the kid harder and harder telling him to shut up. yes, it was in walmart!
    I told her that the cart was on his leg, so she moved him out of it. He kept screaming and crying, sounded like he'd been hurt. She put him into the kid carrier part. I figured it was all done, tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, thinking maybe she didn't realize.
    she kept hitting him again telling him to shut up- like that's going to help!
    So I turned around and told her "lady, you hit that kid again, and I'm making a phone call!" she looked shocked, told me that it wasn't my choice if she hit him. I told her no it's not, but I have every right to call those in the position to decide whether or not you can hit your kid or keep him at all, so if you don't want me to call, stop hitting him now!
    I got complimented by those that saw it.
    I'm not sorry!
    Anonymous

• I once witnessed a girl saying to a little boy " You'd better shut up before I kick you in your face." And then proceeded to say "Shut up, you're stupid" The boy had to have been no more than 5 years old.

I wanted to say something so bad but I knew I probably would have assualted her and get arrested. Plus, I was pregnant at the time and didn't know what she would do to me.

What I should have done was called the police immediately. Because That is 100% verbal abuse and there was a good chance something more serious was going on too.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• in general i dont think hitting a kid makes them learn anything or stop crying i think it just makes it worse really..and teaches them that violance is okay buut thats just me and i think most parents think they can treat their children like dirt and could care less and thats very very sad!

I have said things to people though and I'm sure they just say ooh shes a b**ch..but hey im going to school to help kids in bad situations so I'm going to opem my mouth here and there.
    kyliemaynard

Answer by kyliemaynard at 4:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Oh yeah that was in Target. Another time I was in Walmart and saw a toddler running around unattended, I let the employees know and they did absolutely nothing so I followed him around to make sure he didn't get hurt. Finally I went to go bring him up to the costumer service desk as a lost child and his parents came up to me with an "oh hey.. there he is" relaxed attitude. They were not from this country, but I started screaming at them that they can't leave their child alone like that because it's dangerous. A crowd form around me and everything I was sooooo pissed. I almost forgot about that...
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I don't agree with your comment that it's obvious it was at Walmart. Some walmarts you expect a certain type of people, but not all walmarts are like that. It's kind of wrong to assume that. "

I'm aware of that, and I was joking. I was saying that because of how often negative things are said about Wal-mart. Don't get your panties in a bunch over something that really had nothing to do with the post.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010