Do you let your sister stay?

My younger sister just got evicted from her place. We are allowing her, her boyfriend, and her two kids to live with us (DH, 2 kids and myself). Plus she is pregnant again.

justme581

Asked by justme581 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• Of course, this is what families are for to help in time of need.

Answer by older at 4:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• To me it depends on the relationship you have with her. If it were my sister I would have to seriously SERIOUSLY think about it. She has crapped on me so many times it's just pathetic. She only calls me when she needs something, etc.

If you have a good relationship, think they'll respect your home, work to get back on their own, etc... then SURE! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes, I would hope my family would be there If and when I need them.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 4:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• That's really nice of you. No, I wouldn't. We don't have that sort of relationship.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Nope my relationship isnt the greatest with her. I do not have a lot of respect for her. They have been living in my house for the last couple of days and lets just say its not been the greatest. She is using her pregnancy to not do any thing. I honestly wish I would have not said yes.
    justme581

Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would let my sister stay but she doesnt have a man or kids.. But my husband doesnt really like having anyone stay with us since our house is kind of small and only one floor.. & We let my brother stay with us for a few months before and it was just a horrible experience from the start so the kind of ruined the whole having family members stay with us thing.. Now if anyone stays he does not like for it to be more than 1 week. But if my sister had truly nowhere else to go then I would never say she could not stay with me.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 4:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Under certain conditions, yes - including a time for moving back out. Sometimes, if the trouble stems from bad behaviour, you're just enabling the behaviour, and that's going to be detrimental for all involved. Only you know the details of the situation, but it does sound like you aren't very happy about it. I think you should probably all sit down and find out what their plan is and lay out what your expectations are.
    Family ought to help each other out when the chips are down, but that doesn't mean you need to lie down and be a doormat, either. (I have often heard Dr. Henry Cloud's book "Boundaries" recommended in difficult family situations.)
    bethnylara

Answer by bethnylara at 5:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2010