My sis-in-law refuses to baby-sit for us...How do I handle this?

My kids are 4 & 6..both girls & are not the kind that are hard to watch either..they do the normal "naughty" stuff but not to the point where you can not handle them. When asked she said she's not a baby-sitter! But she's family, right?!

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• Girl, my MOTHER IN LAW never wants to watch our children. They are her grand children! After the first few times of getting lame excuse after excuse, I just gave up. I find other people to help me and ONLY if it's dire need and I absolutely cannot take the kids with me. Hubby and I have sacrificied alone time for time together watching a movie when the kids are in bed! Family can suck sometimes, you gotta just deal with it! It would be nice if they would babysit every now and then, but they absolutely do not have to.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• You can't force anyone to baby sit for you, period.

Answer by older at 4:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Nope.

If she doesn't want to watch them then that's her right.

And besides... do you want someone watching your kids that doesn't want to? They may be rude or mean to them just to be spiteful.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Sure she is family, but you can't make her watch your kids if she doesn't want to. They aren't her responsibility.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Just because she is family, doesn't mean she is your personal babysitter?!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Just because she is family doesn't mean she is under any obligation to watch your children. If you want time away from your children then hire a babysitter.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• You can't force her but I wouldn't even let her see them if thats her attitude you may have to look into alternatives like sittercity.com

What attitude is that? Why the hell should her SIL HAVE to watch her children. If she doesn't want to watch them then that is nobody's business but her own. I had an SIL that used me like that quite a bit until I put my foot down and then she was pissed because I wouldn't watch HER kids. Screw that!!! My life, my choice!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• There is nothing you can do. Not everyone is kid-friendly. I would respect that she was honest enough about it rather than watching them anyway and getting frustrated.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Why should she have to? I don't expect anybody to sit for our kids, not even grandparents. It's their choice.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Just because she's family does not obligate her to babysit for your children. If she herself is childless, she may not like kids. She may secretly not like you. Whatever her reasons, she has the right to refuse. Personally, I would never sit for my brother's kids because they are little animals and I don't like his wife. But I am his family!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010