Why is healthy food more expensive then junk food?

justme581

Asked by justme581 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Uh oh.... don't say this! I was told it isn't! lol

And she surely will be here to harrass you as well!

I don't understand that either. You'd think if people REALLY wanted our country to lose wieght and stop being obese they would up the prices of bad foods and lower the prices of healthy foods.

I think though that it is because it involves much mire time and effort to transport or make healthier foods and fruits and such. If you buy organic they have to use special fertilizers, etc.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes, it does cost more to ship fruits and vegetables because they have a greater risk of being bruised or messed up.
    KitKatCadillac

Answer by KitKatCadillac at 4:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We had a talk in school about it. I try to be more healthy but seriously its easier to go buy the junk food and get more food then it is to buy the healthy stuff and not have money to make it through the month.

Well guess let the harrassment begin...lol
    justme581

Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Here ya go.... you can see the craziness here, lol: Midnight Shopping a sign of the times?

It starts out nice enough.... then she gets all high and mighty.... per usual from my encounters with her [NotPanicking].
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Actually... since my husband and I started eating healthy and cooking all of our meals from scratch we have cut between 40 to 50 off of our weekly grocery bill. Yes, at the beginning it is more expensive, mostly because of all the spices but once you have your supply it goes back down. Also, when we see meat on sale we buy a couple of extra and freeze it for the next week which is awesome. I'm never going back to boxed or frozen meals.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I dont make boxed meals and I make homemade dinners every night and I have all the spices in the world but it seriously still is more expensive. Mainly since we are trying to make new things also.
    justme581

Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• See, what sucks for me and my family is that we don't have a deep freezer to buy in bulk and then freeze. Maybe if we can afford one with income taxes we can get one now that we have the space... but it'll still have to go outside and under the house in the basement (not accessable from the house)... which will suck in the winter, lol.... but it'll be sooo worth it in the end. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Sorry, I'm not trying to bash or be mean and say my way is the way and only way blah blah blah lol
    It was actually a surprise to us when we noticed our grocery bill going down... I think once you get over that big expensive hump you do good. And plus we aren't strictly "organic" those are pricey I agree, but buying fresh veggies and meat and finding recipes has been cheaper the buying pre-packaged food in the long run.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I have no idea but seriously at McD's a double burger is 1 dollar and a salad is 6. So... yes it's more expensive. Same with groceries. Lean beef is 1-2 dollars more a pound than 80/20. Chicken breast are more than thighs. Fresh veggies are more than frozen. Pasta is way cheaper then brown rice... the list goes on. I agree about the shipping but still... Even my local farmers market is more than the grocery store and it's LOCAL.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It's a gov plot for population control. Kill all the poor people with cheap un healthy foods. LMAO!! I heard this once really.
    Anonymous