Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump


iam currently pregnant... i dont make enough money to get insurance so i have to rely on the state for that.. (i dont like it, but theres no other way.) what is an idea of something i could do that is considered "under the books"... i have cosidered art and nannying, but noone out there seems interested, what is a good idea???

Answer Question

Asked by 1sttimemom2011 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 9 (328 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • What about pet sitting or running errands?

    Answer by But_Mommie at 4:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • Watch kids/babies in your home. You can watch up to a certain amount before you have to have a day care license. Not sure how many though and it probably varies by state.

    Answer by shanlaree at 4:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • You mean under the table? It's going to be hard to find people willing to do that these days.

    Answer by gdiamante at 4:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • Lawn Care or Elderly sitting

    Answer by dancinintherain at 4:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • i have thought about running a daycare through my home, but the issue is, i have a woodstove and the state of tn will not let you get a liscence without smoke detectors... i keep running into dead ends, thanks for the input tho.

    Comment by 1sttimemom2011 (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • First of all, there's no stigma attached to using state assistance when you are pregnant.  As for a job, do you enjoy shopping?  With Christmas coming, some elderly, or just busy people could use someone to do their shopping for them.  Another seasonal idea. Wrap gifts in your home.


    Answer by earlgrey at 4:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • Thesedays you can go to fire departments and ask them for a smoke detector for free.....but some are as little as $5, regardless of being a daycare or not it's always a good idea to have at least one smoke dector in your home.

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • well having a wood stove in the house you cant have a smoke detector... it would go off 24/7

    Comment by 1sttimemom2011 (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • If your wood burning stove has proper ventilation you should be able to install a fire alarm no problem. In fact it is recommended that you have not only a smoke detector bt a carbon monoxide one as well if you have a WBS.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • When you go "under the books", you are risking huge interest and penalties from the IRS.

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.