my son will be 2 next month new terrible two's prob what do i do?

he has just recently started to say no and uh uh when i ask him to put his toys away or put his chair back... what do i do? i dont want him to learn that i will always do it but i dont want to be harsh either.... also when we go to the store now he will sit in the cart for a few min then he wants to walk which is fine as long as he holds mommy or daddys hand... but he wants to run around and grab everything... help terrible twos i think... what did you do? what do you suggest?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 4:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter is 21 months, so right behind your sons age, and shes doing this too. She'll ask "Why?" when i tell her to do something. i just tell her why. "because mommy said, or because thats not safe" and when she says no, i usually tell her "im not going to tell you again..." and she does it. i dont argue and say yes, do it! because that isnt getting anywhere. i want her to know that im the boss. lol. at the store, my daughter sometimes wants out of the cart but i usually keep her in to just get in and get out. otherwise a meltdown could be coming if i take too long. ill make sure shes full or recently eaten, has a cup, snack, toy w/e needed to entertain her. i do let her walk around and when she goes to grab something ill let her know she cant but explain what it is, it sa good way to teach her too.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I am a very daring person and I elect to take my daycare children with me to do the grocery shopping for the week, i tell my daycare kids to hold on to the cart, if they let go they know they go in the cart. you just have to follow through every time and accept that yes some people may stare, you just smile and keep going. also try not to say the word "no" to your son use other words and redirection as much as possible.
    mom_of_amzng_3

Answer by mom_of_amzng_3 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I make things very clear- give a consequence and follow through, but what I think has helped with my kids the most is that I make games up about the things we do all day, especially things that are less than fun for them. I find that it does a few things to use silliness as a tool: 1) it keeps you feeling happy rather than frustrated 2)it keeps them interested and they actually want to listen to what mom is saying because she says silly things some times 3) it helps them learn more than if they just had to do whatever it is you want them to do. So for example, if you ask him to put a toy in the toy box and he says NO! Then I would say, something like hey buddy, can you slam dunk your toy in the box? Or I would make up weird words for the toy box, or ask if the toy goes in strange places and have him show me where it really goes. And then lots of praise and laughter when he does what he is supposed to.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2010