Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i file for child support if the father will not provide any information on himself?

Answer Question

Asked by yvonnesteel at 4:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • You explain the situation, either on the form, or during an interview. Tell them whatever you know: his name, address, date of birth. I didn't know where my husband ran off to when I filed, and it became the state's problem to find him, not mine.

    Answer by kjrn79 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • What do you have on him? Anything at all? They can find stuff out based on the smallest bit of info you may have. Call you local DA's office and tell them you want to file, if you have medicaid you can usually file for free.

    Answer by mhaney03 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • The state will find him... just tell them as much as you can

    Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • oh okay thanks cause i mean i have nothing except a license plate number and a name and a birthday but other than that nothing. So i just tell them what i know and thats it or what do i need to do?

    Comment by yvonnesteel (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  •   If you file, they will find him.  They will serve papers, and he will, legally,  have to fill out the financial forms.


    Answer by earlgrey at 5:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • Call your local clerk of courts office, they will give you the number of someone who can give you specific legal advice for your county. In my county you file a petition for child support and a financial affidavit. Then they serve him the paperwork and he will have usually 20 days to send in the info on his income ect, then based on that, they will order and amount. I went through this too. Also don't feel like they are being rude or mean at the clerk's office, they are not allowed to advise you on what to do, only help file the papers but they will give you the number of someone who can help ( and they tell you exactly what to do, it is a not cost). I hope this helps you, I know how hard it can get not getting child support.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • name birthday and license plate number should be enough

    Answer by pookipoo at 5:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.