A bladder infection can cause confusion?

Have any of you heard this?

My niece lives with our Grandma during the school year. My Grandma is 86, my niece is 17. Today my Grandma freaked out on my niece-thinking she was a intruder, she kept trying to get out of the house. My niece called my mom, my Grandma answered the phone-she had NO idea who my mom was-all the sudden snapped out of it. My niece took my Grandma to the ER and she had a bladder infection. They think that's what caused this episode. To me, that's a lot of confusion. I just don't know. Is there possibly something else that could have caused this? (I mean just to what you think) She's never done that before. It's strange to me. They did all the tests for a stroke etc...nothing came back. It's weird.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Health

• Thank God, your niece was there with her! Can you imagine if that poor dear old lady had been by herself? Yes, infection can cause our blood chemistry to get out of whack, and make us say and do outrageous stuff! It's good that she went in to the ER!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• absolutely yes in the elderly! That used to happen to my grandmother, and now it happens to my mom, if I don't catch the signs earlier.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I am a RN and yes infections can and do cause confusion in an elderly pt. It happens all the time in the hospital.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010