does it make sense to pick up kids in the lobby at school rather then the classroom

The school my son, in kindergarten, goes to a school where the kids get walked to the lobby of the school by the teacher and if the parent is not there yet the child waits in the lobby for the parent, without supervision...which is fine for older kids.
Today I went to pick up my son and he was NOT IN THE LOBBY...teacher was outside getting the kids on the bus...turns out my son was down by another set of doors.
He said a man, a stranger, told him to go wait over there( by the other doors), so he did.
I just am really upset over the fact that parents cannot go to the classroom to pick up kids.
my other 3 kids went to a different school and parents went to the classrooms to pick up kids.
This scares the shit out of me, what if that man, unknown to my son, had been a kidnapper? or had other motives/ideas?
I have told him about strangers in the past but after today's long choked up talk he finally "gets it" about "stranger danger"

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 4:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think u have ever right to be upset. I'd def talk to the principal.
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I do not want parents in the school at all. Why not do a pick up line, where the kids just get into the car with you(the Parent). We do not go into get the school to get the kids unless we are signing them out early.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 4:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• the parking lot is small and for parents, the buses park in front of the school, there is nowhere else for them to be, the way it is set up it is not an option for parents to simply pull up to the curb and get their kids
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think most school security changed after the Columbine high school shootings. I remember being able to go pick up my kids from the classroom, but since the shootings and 9/11, the lock down procedure is in effect in just about every school. They cant have parents on campus b/c of these reasons. I would talk to the principle about a better release option for the little ones.

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 5:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• why was he by himself? shouldnt there be other kids being picked up as well? My sons school had the pick up line in front and the bus kids were picked up by the busses in back. mabe you can suggest to the school that all of the kids wait in the gym or cafeteria with a teacher until the parents pick them up . there are also double doors but a door to the office in between so the second set of doors are locked and anybody that comes in is forced to go through the office to get into the school at my sons school. i think i would be looking into a better solution too, I would not want unknown adults to have access to my children without any other supervision.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• None of the schools my kids have gone to allowed parents inside the school at disimissal.  Their old school had all the parents wait in the parking lot (which was blocked off so no cars could park there...it was very small).  Then the teachers brought the kids out and the kids waited by the teacher until the parents were seen.

I have no idea how they do things at their new school.  My kids take the bus home (like most of the kids at the school).  I believe they just sent notes home about parents picking kids up and where to park (on the side streets around the school) and to wait by the front door (the bus kids get out first).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We have to gather by locked gates and wait for the kids to be escorted out. They then unlock the gates and when the child sees their parents, they hi-five the teacher and leave. There are 4 different gates. One for grade K. One for 1st graders. One for 2nd and 3rd. And the last gate for 4th and 5th. No parents are allowed on campus without going through the office and getting a pass.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• the parking lot is very small and it is not well designed there is no option of picking up kids from the cars. the lobby has alot of commotion at the end of the day and nobody looks out for anybody but themselves...it is a small town where people are very trusting so if another parent sees my kid going with some man they might think nothing other then it is my sons "uncle bob"
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Most school in my area, not only DO NOT allow parents go to the classrooms, you can not even volunteer unless you have had a criminal and child abuse clearances.
    I do think they need to rethink their pick up routine. My son's school has the kids stay in the lobby, but each class in in a designation spot and there are teachers and aides there to watch out for them.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Sounds like you need to have a big talk with the pricipal and the media if that talk doesn't work
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 5:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010