POOP???

my almost 4 yo ds has recently started pooping in his pants... well... he is trying to hold it in so he can play or watch tv or whatever we are doing. i have tried everything i can think of... does anyone know what i can do to get him to stop. he knows thats its not good for his belly and bottom to hold it in, but he continues to do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• offer treats dum dums or herseys kisses are great. thats how we potty trained my 4 yo at night. then its a positive reinforcement
    mom_of_amzng_3

Answer by mom_of_amzng_3 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• my 10 yr. old still does this , he is autistic , when hes at school i cant do a thing about it , at home i watch and can tell most times so i turn off what ever hes doing and tell him go in and sit and take your time no hurry , sometimes i go in and sit on the floor across from him cause he gets constipated and scared to push out and i talk about -- you have to go here in toilet sometimes it hurts everyone , does your son fear pain on this issue ? , thats a reason lots of kids have #2 issues.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We pause the tv or put up the game and tell him that it's okay to go to the bathroom and whatever he is doing at the time will be right here when he gets back.

We don't have any accidents-my son potty trained himself right before he turned 3 and hasn't really had any accidents so far (he's been trained for about 7 months) but he will wait until the very last minute and then run around the room like a chicken with its head cut off until we tell him it's okay to go potty.
    LuckyPlusOne

Answer by LuckyPlusOne at 10:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Whatever he is doing (TV, games, etc...) needs to be turned off until he poops. It's the only way.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:22 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think assuring him that he will be able to continue doing what he wants to do AFTER he poops will be key. Try sitting him down to watch his favorite cartoon, and then pausing it midway while you take him for a potty brake. Do that with several activities, and just try to generally ask if he needs to go through out the day.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:18 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• im not sure what to say about this question...however my 4 year old holds his pee and poop in till the last possible second before he bursts because he is afraid he is going to miss something...good luck
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010