How would you handle this:

My mother is not going to react well to the news that I am pregnant. I am on my own and in a wonderful committed relationship, but she is one of those mothers. She thinks I should run every decision I make by her and then do what she thinks. LOL. Moms..... How would you handle negative reactions?

LSUFFMomma

Asked by LSUFFMomma at 4:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would tell her with your Partner there first of all. That may ease your nerves a little. Then i would wait and see her reaction an dif its what you think it may be, Id just gently lether know its your life & she is welcome to give advice when its asked butto please respect the fact you will do what you think is best. Good Luck hun!
    Mblessesd4x

Answer by Mblessesd4x at 5:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't worry what she thinks, hun. As long as you are happy with what is going on with your life is all that matters.

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!!!!!!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Do we share the same mom? Dang, I was wondering how to tell my mom that I want to hold my wedding in June rather than waiting for her to give me some go ahead. I have no clue how to help you..I would have the same dilemma.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• That's tough. If/when she gives her disapproving comments just tell her that you are happy about the pregnancy and the way your life has turned out...that you hope she can put her differences aside and be a part of your childs life.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Make sure you tell her with your SO present. Do the "We are pregnant routine".    Even if it was not planed I would just tell her we planed the pregnancy. Just to shut her up.  Make sure you tell tour SO in advance what you plan on telling her.

Answer by louise2 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• When you tell her, show how happy you are. If she says anything negative, explain to her that you are happy and you don't want any negative comments. If she continues, walk away or hang up if you are on the phone and don't talk to her until she can be positive.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I'm sorta go the same boat. I'm not pg just yet but mum told me not to get preg. But my partner and i are trying,.
    mellibear

Answer by mellibear at 5:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would wait until you have an ultrasound picture, and then make her a special card with a copy of the ultrasound picture in it and write that she's gonna be a grandmother in it. Then, make arrangements for you and your so to meet her for lunch or dinner somewhere and give her the card there during the meal. That way she can't really make a big deal out of it in public, and once she sees the ultrasound image and knows this is the real deal, I think her grandparenting side will kick in and hopefully she will be happy for you. Hope it helps!
    Erin_Jus

Answer by Erin_Jus at 5:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Just so you all know...I was married living in my own home when I told her I was pregnant with my son...she freaked because she didn't think we were ready. UGH! I cannot tell her with my SO because she still has not accepted that we are living together and that he is such a big part of my son's life. My father was around to rein her in last time, but he has since passed away. I am afraid she is going to react badly and it will ruin our relationship. I love her, but she is very hard to deal with.
    LSUFFMomma

Comment by LSUFFMomma (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Well if you are that affraid of her. Do not tell her. Let her find out the hard way. She will figure it out on her own.

Answer by louise2 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2010