I use to be a member of the LDS church and ...

when I was 12 I received a Patriarchal Blessing. I just received a copy of it from an anonymous person (I think it was my sister because she is mad that I am no longer active or interested in the religion at all). I read it out of curiosity and it was actually very humorous. It told me all these things I was suppose to accomplish as I grew older and everything is exactly what the church uses in teaching their doctrines such as go on a mission, marry in the Temple, have lots of children, do church callings, and do geneology work (all which are indoctrined in your lessons each week). I thought a Patriarchal Blessing was suppose to be a personalized message from God just for you and yet it seemed rather generic and stereotypical and not personal at all. If you are still LDS and very active have you had yours done and what are your feelings about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I left the church in 2007(my family has issues with it too) and yes, they are really generic although you'd be hard pressed to find a truly active member agree with that.

Good Luck on your journey away from the church.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I am not, but I did attend a service once while living on Fort Lee. It was jsut myself, 3 soldiers and one other person that attended. What I don't get is how those guys that are SO young be considered "elders"? When I saw that I thought "oh man do they euthenize their elderly?"

I studied further for my own knowledge sake and I have to say... I don't agree with this guy finding scripture hidden in a cave in America that only he has seen and translated? Idk, sounds hookey to me.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I actually joined an LDS group here on CM to ask questions and I sure did get shit on.. was basically told that if I didn't dress to the nines that I have no business going to church and how dare I allow my children to drink soda... I was like wtf.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i dont know much about the religion, but it always felt like a cult to me because i knew so many people in high school to changed their religion to Mormon and when i asked why they would always give me the same vague answer like 'i had a calling'
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I have many other reasons for no longer following or believing and they have to deal with the facts of their information...It was all hooky to me...and also I found that when you question it they get very upset with you and treat you horrible.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• yep when I was able to run from it oh how did I run LOL...I hate it when I ask something very logical and they answer with "It's not mine to question it" or "Heavenly Father only knows" WTHeck???
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I didn't realize that genealogy was part of the religion.  I think it would be neat to read the weekly lessons you are talking about.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I havent been in that church for well over 20 yrs but I still have a book from Sunday School class that has a lesson on Geneology and the purpose of it for the salvation of your passed on family members.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Scout mom they have a group for LDS moms and such and they would probably love to send you an email copy of their lessons...They love to share their lessons with all interested! (and sometimes with some not interested like me...lol..I still get a lesson now and them from family and such)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I'm an active LDS.
    I received my blessing when I was 16. It does include some of the things you mentioned: temple marriage, being a mom to "several" children, genealogy work. Though I'd rather not post them on the internet, it also does include some very specific things which have helped me a lot in making life decisions and deciding how to spend my time in general. Frankly, I'd be surprised if a patriarchal blessing did not mention some combo of mission/marriage/kids, etc.. I don't have to tell you that Mormons believe that these can bring wonderful blessings to one's life. Why is it a bad thing that they are included in your blessing?
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2010