Feed a family of four HEALTHY foods for $50

two adults one toddler one elementary child. Mon-sun
No processed foods.
Basic spices and staples and some frozen vegetables in the house already...
Lets see it.
Can you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Dinners
    Mon:roast whole chicken w/ brown rice and 2 frozen veggies
    Tue: Left over chicken w/ home made rolls, 2 veggies
    Wed. Boil bones for stock add veggies and brown rice for soup
    Thurs. Black bean tacos on wheat tortillas w/ lettuce tomatoes and greek yogurt. side of fiesta corn
    Fri. breakfast for dinner. quiche and fruit
    Sat. home made pizza with sale veggies
    Sun. meatloaf made with veggies, mashed potatoes and veggie

Lunches :left overs as well as whole grain pastas with fresh tomatoes and blk olives, fruit and yogurt and boiled eggs, whole wheat bread with cheese or natural PB

Breakfast oast and PB, eggs, fruit and yogurt, store brand chex. or oatmeal
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Purchase meat when its on sale and freeze it, do the same with veggies just par boil them if they are fresh before you freeze them. make a large batch of mashed potatoes when fresh potatoes go on sale, and freeze it too I do it with everything it saves me soooo much money. and the conveneince is awesome it prevents us from eating out alot.
    mom_of_amzng_3

Answer by mom_of_amzng_3 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Nope. I know I couldn't.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Sorry my computer dies. Con't.

I am assuming you have four, salt and crisco in the house for baking. Those are staples for us. And rice maybe?

A whole chicken is cheap since a large one is around 7 and with enough sides can last 3 meals if you make soup the third night.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I have done it before and it can be done just shop the perimeter of the store. first get you meat, you potatoes and frozen veggies, have oatmeal, eggs, pancakes for breakfast. When it comes to meat buy just a few large things you can turn into several meals learn how to make casseroles...I have alot of recipes I can share if you would like them. The only thing you need to buy in a can is cream soups, and beans. a bag of apples is the same price as a bag of name brand chips.
    For bread you can buy frozen loaves at half the price or go to the thirft bakery.
    Also use your store ad to make menu choices. like if the arm roast is on sale and the burger isn't you can buy a roast and make it into 2 meals. hamburger and box dinners is not always the way to go
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Sure cant... we spend at least 100 a week. GL. ill be checking back for these answers though.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• in Alaska? no
    I'd have to go to Costco and spend more initially to get the end cost to average out to $50 a week
    Brown Rice
    Whole Wheat pasta
    Flours and stuff for baking homemade breads and tortillas
    Dried Beans
    Produce
    Cannot get any meat for that price. Hope you're a vegetarian.
    Soy Beans to make soy milk

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 5:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Good luck & BUMP!

I live in Oregon and when I was single...no kids I didn't buy processed food and only occassionally spent 50 bucks a week.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Looks like But_Mommie has it down. Yep, it can be done. I watch for sales on meat and the roast chicken trick is one we use a lot. We do make homemade pot pies with the leftovers and lots of frozen veggies as well.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Coupons are a must! I do this every week! 50-60 dollars. Even if it came down to it you could do a whole chicken every 2-3 days and make different dishes with it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010