Should I keep ex husbands last name??

My husband and I divorcing, but together we have a 2 year old son, my mother told me I should keep my ex husbands last name so my son and I have the same name. I understand that, but when I get married again, I take my new husbands name...
What are my options as far as hyphinating my son's name. For example, let's say my H's last name is Williams and my future H's name is Johnson, is there any way my son's name could be Noah Williams-Johnson? I don't want to complicate things for him though.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I wouldnt hyphinate it. That just gets hard on him. I would leave it the way it is. I would also keep my ex name until I got remarried. Good Luck
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I dropped my ex husband's last name. I didn't feel right keeping it, ya know?
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• You can change your name to anything you want as long as it's done legally. However, I do believe your son's father would have to give his permission to change his name.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i would keep it, first because its your sons last name and second because changing your last name back will be another load of paperwork and waiting in lines :p

i wouldnt hypenate your sons last name if you get remarried though. i have a friend who is getting remarried and she says shes going to hyphenate her sons name and that just seems weird to me
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I wouldnt hypheniate the sons name but I would keep ex hubbys last name until you remarry. Its easier on the child & less complicated for you.
    Mblessesd4x

Answer by Mblessesd4x at 5:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son had my maiden name as his middle name and I could have dropped my ex-s name for myself and my son. But it's a common name and my maiden name is very unusual, so I decided to keep my ex-s name, to make it harder for him to "find us" if things got worse. Things did not get worse, but I'm satisfied with my decision.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would keep the last name and if u remarry hyphenate YOUR name not Ur sons.
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I kept my exs last name and it made it much easier when sending dd to school. I liked us having the same last name even though I didnt like the last name kwim? I just remarried after 5 yrs on my own. My dd understands that when you marry you take the mans last name. It hasnt been an issue.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I do not think your son can take the new DHs last name unless he (new DH) adopted him. Unless you keep you EX last name and never marry again. That will be the only way you will keep the same last name as your son.

Answer by louise2 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i dont know if the one you gonna marry dont care then fine but, i just wont feel right. turn it around how would you feel then make your decision
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010