Son scared me today.

My son is 3 months old, and he had just finished BFing and was taking a short nap,usually about 20-30 minutes after a feeding. And about 20 minutes after he feel asleep I was in the kitchen cleaning up a little and he was on the kitchen table in his lamb chair sleeping, and all of a sudden started screaming. Like he was in pain, I grabbed hi quickly and basically ripped all his clothes off him to see if he was hurt, and everything thing looked fine. after about 5 mintues of me freaking out and him screaming he finally calmed down, he looked as freaked out as I did, like he was scared. Does anyone know what happened, or has this happened to anyone, I gave a call to the ped doc and they said unless there is bruising or cuts or he has a fever he's fine.

addix2

Asked by addix2 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could have been sudden gas pain since you did feed him prior to that.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 5:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• You can call the doctor, but is only when youre not in sight? Maybe he just wants you around.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• He was probably more freaked out by you ripping his clothes off. He may have had a gas pain, or just may have woken up and started crying, it happens. Maybe one of his feet fell asleep, maybe he was too wet, etc. My daughter still wakes up crying sometimes, for seemingly no reason, and she's almost 17 months old.
    I would say next time, pick him up quietly, and try to soothe him - if he does not calm down just by being picked up, then check him over carefully to see if anything else might be the matter. Don't worry, it won't be the last time he freaks you out :)
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son does this when he is napping or sleeping in the middle of the night. It started around 3-4 months and he is 7 months and still doing it. It is called Night Terrors. Its like they had a bad dream. My son is doing it less and less but mostly in the middle of the night he screams suddenly like he is in severe pain, I cuddle him and give him a nuk and he goes right back to sleep.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i have to agree with wood1980 it sounds like night terrors or like 405mom said gas pain I get the gas pain myself and both of my girls had the terrors and since the youngest is 7 months she still does it. the other thing to is if your son is teething it could have been a sharp pain from teething (this is the other thing my youngest's dad think sometimes).
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 6:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• The same thing just happend to my 3 month old today, but didn't calm down for like and hour. I tried everything from changing to feeding to rocking. Nothing was working. I decided to wash my hands and reach inside her mouth to feel her gums and 2 teeth are about to pop through. Why the "teething process" hasn't bothered her before, I don't know. But it was most likely a sudden gas pain. Those can come on pretty sudden especially when they had a bottle within 30 min.
    Momma72923

Answer by Momma72923 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2010