Cease Fire on the Homefront...?

My 10yr old & 8yr old can barely breathe the same air any more. I am so mentally exhausted from trying to ignore this behavior, seperating the 2 of them, or playing refree once someone is beat to a pulp. I need more avenues to pursue, PLEASE.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I always made my kids do chores when they started in on each other. It didn't take long for them to knock it off so they wouldn't have to do anything else!
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• not sure myself, but here's what my mother told me and my sis once
    'the next time you two start fighting, you are EACH going to give me a DOLLAR!'
    my dad had to leave the room for laughing, then we started in laughing. We came so close to pooling some money together to tell her
    "here's 5 bucks, that should cover us for the rest of the week!"

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Have you tried the more your fight the more you do not get. When they fight , they either get stuff taken away. Or they do not get things. If that does not work. Get a pair of hand cuffs and when they are not at school they are hand cuffed together. Tell they learn how to get along. If they are the same sex and they have separate rooms. Make them share a room. . These are things I would do.

One thing I would do that is not popular is,,, the one child that is beating the other to a pulp. Would find out from me how it feels to get beaten to a pulp.  But that is just me.

Answer by louise2 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• send them to their rooms and tell them they are not welcome to come out until they can behave like civilized children. Let them only come out for meals and bathroom and if they can't behave at the table, send them back to their rooms, even if they haven't finished eating.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Other than the handcuff approach, I have tried the rest of your ideas. We've thought of buying boxing gloves & clearing out the living room. When they are in the same room (they share a bedroom) the younger of the 2 flips her sisters dresser drawers over, knocks things off of her dresser, etc. Then the older sister retaliates. It seems to be a viscious cycle!
    AForCast

Answer by AForCast at 8:27 AM on Nov. 9, 2010