Need some advice....

My mom fell two years ago and broke her left hip, she is now 91 years old, they did not replace the hip but fixed it with pins and in the last couple of months she is in constant arthritic pain, it breaks my heart to see her hurting, but I am afraid that even though she is healthy for her age, that hip replacement might kill her, but I am not sure what to do, what would you do??????

Asked by older at 5:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Relationships

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • There is always a risk when a surgical procedure is needed but your mom needs to weigh the pros and cons. My great aunt had a hip replacement done about 5 years ago. She is 96 now. She is still going strong. My own mom had a knee replacement done about 3 years ago and now has to get her other one done. My mom is younger then yours almost 70 but still.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• talk with some specialists , and her to see what she is willing to do , sorry to hear this.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• hmm thats not an easy one. But why dont you talk to a doctor who you trust. They can give you better advise. I understand your concerns. What does she want to do?
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 5:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• The main question is what does SHE want to do. Does she want to go through the pain of a major surgery like hip replacement? Would hip replacement even solve her problem? If she wants to, talk with an orthopedic specialist about this. Surgery may not even be an option at her age, in which case you would have to go the physical therapy/pain management route. Good Luck! I know how much it hurts to see a loved one suffer!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• She doesn't want to do it because she has heard that at her age most of the patients who have this done die, but she hates the constant pain she is in. The doctor who performed the other surgery says this is the only way the pain will stop but the recovery is really bad and slow. I feel I am being selfish by not doing the surgery because at her age she might die, she is my best friend and I do not know what I would do without her, I am at a loss at what I should do. I know for a fact that seeing her in pain day in and day out is taking a toll on both of us. Her surgeon thinks she should do it. but I am so afraid......

Comment by older (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I don't believe she would recover from the surgery - surgeons always recommend going under the knife.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I'd take her to acupuncture, it did wonders for me!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I have tried acupuncture, it worked for a few days and back to pain.

Comment by older (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Kylies, do you remember about your aunts recovery? was it bad? she must have been the same age as my mom is now when she had it done right?

Comment by older (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My aunt did really well. She of course needed help so she stayed with some cousins of mine but her surgery went very well and she was within the normal time of recovery. There were no complications at all. Yeah, she was your moms age at the time.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2010