any home remedies for a cold/teething issues?

My daughter is two and a half and has a horrific cough. She's getting in her two year molars and there's no fever or anything. It's just a runny nose and cough, so I'm reluctant to give her medicine unless she can't sleep at night. Does anyone have any good advice/home remedies? I tried honey and lime this morning (my mom used to do that for us) which has helped a little, and steam baths, but always glad to get new ideas....thx!

lexi8622

Asked by lexi8622 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Alternate grapefruit juice, and oj every few hours to get rid of mucus from a runny nose, and you can mix equal parts of honey and lemon juice for a cough. If her gums hurt her then you can run powdered cloves over the area instead of orajel.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I used frozen french fries to gnaw on. I also gave tylenol for pain. The teething tablets didn't help and she freaked at orajel.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I just always comfort them as much as I can, let them chew on cool teethers, as for the cold, use the nasal aspirator as much as possible, and when they sleep make sure you tilt their heads up.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:29 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• The teething tablets did help our son. Hyland's and it's homeopathic. However, for pain that interrupted his sleeping, we also did give him tylenol and motrin alternating when it got that painful. Giving pain medicine for pain is usually a good idea. Molars are big and take a LONG time to come in, sometimes several weeks. I do understand not wanting to medicate the cough/mucus. You are right that there's not much you can do about that. Oh, also, he ate a lot (unlimited, LOL) of those pop-ice popsicles. The ice was cooling, numbing, and helped ease the pain. I could deal with the sugar rush if he was so miserable. As Whitney suggested, elevate one end of the mattress with a pillow or blanket under the mattress to keep the congestion from settling. Lots of hugs....
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Aww, poor thing. I just let them chew on whatever helped make it feel better, and gave Tylenol for a fever. Teething is just not pleasant.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:21 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My family always used a 'hot pack', which would be like a handtowel damp with really hot water (careful not to burn, and 'wrung out' so it wouldn't be dripping), across the chest.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:16 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Occillococcinum makes a version that's for ages 2 and up. That may help with the cold. Boiron makes some great homeopathic remedies.
    For the teething, we froze grapes, then put them in a mesh feeder for DS (to keep him from choking on them).
    Teething tablets have been recalled for having Bella Donna in them, but you can try Camilia drops.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2010