for those of u who have a kid in public school?

do u do the fundraisers they send home with ur child? why or why not?

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 5:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We're not there yet, but we plan to. The schools need all the money they can get, and it's good to teach your kids about fundraising for a bigger cause. We try to support the neighbor kids when they come peddling stuff for their school.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes I do. I think it teaches my son how to be personable when interacting with others and helps boost his self-esteem. I do not want him afraid of public speaking when he gets to Junior High and High School. It also allows the school to get much needed funds for different activities.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• When our kids were in public school we did the fundraisers until they just got out of hand. This year school had only been back for 3 days when I had kids knocking on my door wanting to sell me fast food coupons. Since I am a girl scout leader a lot of my girls bring their wares for me to buy. Within the first couple of months of school I was hit up to buy candles, candy bars, coupons, jerky, sausage, and resturant cards. Really, I get it that schools need help with funding, but do they need a new fundraiser every couple of weeks? It's just too much.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We have 3 kids so we alternate which child's turn it is to have daddy take the form to work.
    Why? It's worth a try to sell things if it will help the school.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i do some , not all im not rich.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My kids haven't done that yet, but I plan on having them participate :-)
    mz_erica03

Answer by mz_erica03 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Our school has giving parties and then an auction so I attend those and donate that way. I don't do the fundraisers where we have to sell things, it's just too hard to do with two kids in the same school selling (it was all four at the same school for awhile). The planned giving parites make the most money anyway, I think.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My daughter just started Kindergarten, within the first week she came home with her first fundraiser, DH took it to work and sold quite a bit. Another one came home just a couple of weeks later, I felt funny having DH send that one in too, so we just ordered a few things and that was it. We also donated to the SCA fundraiser, 50/50 tickets, food pantry and now the whole box tops and capri sun programs. She's only been in school about 45 days! lol Its a bit overwhelming already. Can't imagine how it will be when both of my kids are in school at the same time. We do what we can and will continue to.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No. We don't have anyone to sell to. They either have their own kids' fundraisers,or are too poor to buy anything. My husband's work forbids selling on premises

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I look at them. If there is anything I want or would give as a gift I buy it. I do not try to sell the stuff. I do, however, spend alot at the school's fall festival.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 6:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2010