What age did you start potty training your boy & if its all done now, how long did it take?

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 5:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is potty training now. He is 3 and we tried at 2 1/2 but he was so not ready. Just take your time and know that it is a process. It takes time and energy.
    Sarahs_bowtique

Answer by Sarahs_bowtique at 5:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• He was 25 months. We used the 3 day method (which I HIGHLY recommend), and it took about a day and a half. He's going through a little regression right now, but they all have them at some point, so we're not stressing about it, just trying to get him back on track. Before this, he'd gone 3 weeks with just 2 accidents. It also covers both days and nights!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• 2, and 2 1/2. I took the diapers away and made them go bottomless, reminded them to use the potty every few minutes, parised the hell out of them when they did, and it took less than a week.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think he was 18 months when we 'started" realizing quickly he was not ready. tried underpants training at 2, again, after a full week, NOT ready.. my daycare provider thought she'd give it a shot after another failed week I had early august this year.. well SHE was able to get him to go but not us yet, so after 2 weeks of him going all day at her house, he finally caved and would start to go at home.. soon he didn't want to be in diapers anymore and now he is fully day trained and i think it just kinda happened where he started waking dry so I thought I'd keep going and its been 3 weeks and only 2 accidents overnight too - he is 3 today actually...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• 2.5 when he showed all the readiness signs. It took 4 days. I concentrated on potty training only and was consistent and went right to underwear and had him try every 15 minutes until he was proficient and had no accidents, then went to 30 and so on until he went on his own with no help. No issues from then on.

There was no 3 day method back then, however, My method was pretty much the same. LOL i should have cashed in back then.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I started training when he was 2yrs old but he wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with it until he was 3 1/2. He would kick and scream every time I tried to put him on the potty ( I would tro to read him stories, give him candy, have him pee on cherios in he potty,..NOTHING) and then one day out of the blue he told me he wanted to be cool like his friend and never wore a diaper or had an accident after that day. I'll remember to just let our next potty train when ready because I was very stressed out and got a lot of grief from people because he wasn't potty trained, but some kids are more stubborn and once i stopped pushing him to go on the potty, he made the decision for himself.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• About 6 weeks before his 3rd birthday I put him in underwear and only used diapers at night. He was pee trained by the the 6th or 7th day. He figured out pooping about a week before he turned 3, so it took about 5 or 6 weeks to fully day time train. We have continued to use diapers at night, but he always wakes up dry. The only reason we haven't moved onto night time training is that his twin sister is still waking up wet even though she day time trained 5 months before he did.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We started about 2.5. He was partially potty trained pretty quickly (peeing). It took longer to get him to poop. But once he did, that was it, he hasn't had an accident since. Everybody always told me boys take a little longer.

BradenisMySon, you should have! That woman is probably making a lot of money! You could do a 4 day method =)
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 5:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son potty-trained a few months before he turned 4. I told him if he stopped going in his pull-ups and instead in the potty, he could go to preschool, and he took me up on my offer. It took less than a week. He had very, very few scattered accidents over the next few months, but I'd call it typical. Night training took a year and a half more, but it finally happened after a few nights of training. It would have been sooner, but he was too deep a sleeper to be able to go at night.
    sojourner.

Answer by sojourner. at 5:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son potty trained himsellf at 3 years and 2 months. He potty trained in 2 weeks. He took control and we just came along for the ride.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2010