How can I stop my 2 1/2 yr. old grandson from pushing?

I have 2 grandsons, 14 mos. apart. The 2 1/2 yr. old will not stop pushing/shoving his little brother. Sometimes he does it so hard that his little brother falls and sometimes lands on a toy or something. Time outs just aren't cutting it. I tell him how it is bad to push and how he can hurt his brother or give his brother a boo boo (as I say it for him to understand). Does anyone have any suggestions? He does this at home too, so it's not just here.

CrazyDaisy123

Asked by CrazyDaisy123 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That age is so hard because 2 year olds still have so much difficulty understanding behavior and consequences. The best thing you can do when he pushes is to kneel down next to him, firmly say "no pushing, gentle only." Then pick him up and set him down somewhere else in the room. Say,"gentle only." Pick up the younger brother and give younger brother attention. Even though you cannot get immediate results with disciplining a two year old, it will sink in.

It is always good, also , to catch it right before it happens. If you see an escalation, go pick up the two year old before the push and set him down elsewhere in the room. He might learn how to distract himself.

Hang in there! Toddlers are so hard!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010