Any quitters out there?

I quit smoking 2 months ago (YAY!) BUT I think I've gained a few pounds. I say THINK because I am scared of the scales right now. So besides the normal advice, does anyone have any great tips on how to keep the snacking at bay and lose a few pounds? Nothing drastic, just a few pounds without feeling deprived. Thanks in advance!

MonkeyMomma07

Asked by MonkeyMomma07 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Health

• try doing something else with your hands. knitting or crocheting are good for keeping the hands busy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Have you tried chewing gum? Sometimes that helps. Or, maybe some sugar-free candies. Good Job on quitting! It's not an easy task. :)
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 12:49 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Well I can't have gum because I'm getting braces - yeah I'm gonna look like one hot mama, gaining weight AND the metal mouth going on. HAHA I have tried crocheting but cant' get past a chain. LOL I'm left handed and righties find it hard to teach me. Any other ideas? Maybe I'll just chew on some rawhide.......hehe
    MonkeyMomma07

Answer by MonkeyMomma07 at 12:59 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I bought healthy snacks that I knew wouldnt go to my bum or tummy! Like apples or just like fruit cups. Or you could have fruit salads. That way you can snack and be happy!
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 1:02 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• A lot of people suggest sucking on hard candies however those can add the calories in a very sneaky way. You can lose pounds by cutting back your calories by 400 a day or maybe walking a few miles or 30 minutes. In order to keep trying to beat your habit try biting on a pencil, or finding a way to keep your hands occupied.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Really I have no urges to smoke....now it's just the urge to snack. lol Thanks for all the replies, I do appreciate it!
    MonkeyMomma07

Answer by MonkeyMomma07 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I smoked for 8 years, from age 12 to 20. When I finally quit, I took mints. Not Altoids, too strong, but yeah, I couldn't chew gum so i took mints. I was always guilty of smoking in the car, even if I had JUST had a cigarette while standing outside talking to someone, so I made sure my car had its own container of mints, along with the one that was in my purse...and next to my computer...and on the coffee table...*sigh*

It wasn't too long and I actually forgot all about smoking. After a few months (like 5) I started wondering why I was eating so many mints all the time, and I actually had to think about what made me start eating them!!!

Congratz on quitting!!! I tried atleast 3 times before it finally stuck...keep at it! If you don't, I swear it gets harder every time!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I want to quit. My Dad died from lung cancer this past May. I'm getting older now, 38, & hubby smokes too, any suggestions?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Try excercise rather than snacking. Go for a walk, up and down the stairs a few times. Change how you are substituting for cigs. Even just do some stretches in place or lift some soup cans a few times until the urge passes. No reason to substitute one oral habit for another. If you must, make it a sugar free gum just until the urge passes. Alot of sugarfree stuff makes for a gaseous experience!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 7:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Thanks for all the great advice! For the mom who wanted some quit tips...email me and I'd be glad to help all I can. For me? It took wrapping my mind around it, and doing it for ME, no one else. I just did it, no patch, no pills......although I've tried almost every method there is, I had heard cold turkey had the best results, so that is what I did. But do what is best for you. I have also heard great things about Chantix. It is expensive though. Good luck, email me if you want.
    MonkeyMomma07

Answer by MonkeyMomma07 at 9:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2008