What makes your kid better then mine?

I think at one point or several points as parents we run across those "fellow parents" who feel the need to make their child out to be the greatest. What I don't understand is why it becomes a competition, why are there parents out there who feel the need to make sure their child is on top? My kid is great and smart and cute but he is not perfect and he isn't better then anyone elses child. Why do some parents put down others children to ensure theirs is viewed as the top child?

bubblycute

Asked by bubblycute at 12:54 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I know the type you mean! I have a neighbor who has a 12 year old girl and she still compares her child to my 2 year old! Get real! I just ignore her.
    For moms in my playgroup that start getting a little too comparison happy, I calmly ask them if it is a competition and if so, how will we determine the winner? At what age will we compare our kids? 5, 10, 18, 30? And how will we figure out which one is best? The most happy one, the one with the best paying job, the one with the biggest house? I stay calm and keep a happy tone in my voice. It works every time. They may still compare my kid to their but they don't do it where I can hear.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I think that some people think they are building up their child's self-esteem by telling them, and everyone else who will listen, that their kid is so much better than others. I always tell my kids that "no one is better than you, and you are not better than anyone." But yeah, I know what you mean...It will be interesting to see how these "perfect" kid's turn-out don't you think?
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:10 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I have been giving this question a lot of thought since you posted it. I think we are supposed to think our kids are the greatest kids in the world. We are supposed to build them up and help them learn to compete in the world. HOWEVER, I don't think other children need to be torn down to accomplish that. I am interested to hear what others think.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:16 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Thank you for your answers. I think the the world of my son but would never put down another child for it. I talk my son up without comparing him to other children. I would not want a child to feel insignifant or awful because of the expectations or bragging I do about my child.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:28 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I think that every parent wants their child to be happy, smart, attractive, and good at everything they do. I will be honest and admit that I definitely want those things for my daughter. I think that the parents that compare their children to other kids are trying to reinforce the idea that their kid is "great", but instead of appreciating their children's unique talents, abilities, and personality alone, they have to get their satisfaction from comparing them to other kids. Personally, I feel a bit sorry for that kind of thinking because it seems to me that you lose sight of what is most important: the amazing, unique, special person that your child IS, instead of who they are better than.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 1:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I so agree. why cant a child just be a child? My sister feels she needs to compare my 7 year old to her 1 year old. Get over it they are 2 different children and I really dont care. Every one is different and that is who we are. I love my children for who they are and that is what matters, not who does this and mine does it better. Its sad how people are and instead of looking at their child and being proud of all things they do, they need to compare.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 2:14 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• im guilty of this, however, i keep it to myself, i think my daughter is the most beautiful perfect little thing i have ever set eyes on.... i would never say taht to anyone else or my friends but of course i think that in my head... ihowever, i know noone is perfect and the teenage years are going to come and im going to be pulling my hair out of my head . but, right now at 2 years old, i like to just basque in the glory of her. he he
    irishgrrl808

Answer by irishgrrl808 at 2:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• You know I love my son and think he is the cutest boy in the whole world, but seriously what parent doesn't think that of their own child? I get proud of his new accomplishments and things but it doesn't make him better than any other child. Granted my son hold a higher place in my heart and he will ALWAYS come first (along with his siter thats on the way) but it's simply because he is mine!!!!
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 2:45 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• They have something to prove to the rest of the planet. "See how great my genes are! Now don't you feel bad for not appreciating me?" Problem is, the answer to that question is NO, we don't. They're just insecure. When our opinion of them doesn't quite match the height of their own, the need to prove it to us takes hold. "I know I'm wonderful. Why don't YOU know it too?" And since we can't see how great the parent is, we must endure the laundry list of accomplishments of their child while they downplay any accomplishment of ours OR we are forced to endure kids who never learned that other people matter TOO! I say "Well, I birthed a 'normal' kid and make due with what I got! Lucky YOU to get the new improved model!" And then I move on. Certainly keeps me off meds for high blood pressure!
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 5:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Nothing.
    Su-Z-Q

Answer by Su-Z-Q at 10:36 AM on Nov. 2, 2008