• In the Spotlight:

Does the bad news about China products have you checking labels?

I know all the news about melamine in products has freaked me out. If its from China, and its edible, i don't buy it, also there are a lot of products from Mexico also that are tainted with lead, like candies with colorful packages. I recently saw dishes for sale at Dollar Tree, that had labels on them stating they contained lead and were made in China. So what I am saying is be cautious, and check labels. I love Wal Mart but most of their stuff is made in China or packaged in China, so just be aware.

sylvia-ann

Asked by sylvia-ann at 1:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Health

• most of everything is made from china
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Yeah,I know what you mean.Nothing is made in the U.S.A.! Everything is from China,because labor is cheap over there but also I think the chineese are good at Sales and marketing and they have probably thought this whole thing up,like master minds.I know what you mean by lead, that's scary but also using lead is cheaper than say using another metal so that's why they use it.I think lead dishes or things are o.k. to use as decorations?I don't know if it's contaminated by touching it, only by consuming it.I don't know about Melamine,what's that?
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 1:16 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• melamine mimics protein and is used as a "filler" to make less product appear as more product. it was responsible for the deaths of animals from it in pet food, and it was put in baby formula and caused many deaths of children and the ones that didn't die suffered severe kidney problems. melamine was also found in halloween candies here in the states, i believe it was yellow chocolate coins, and chocolate eggs.
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 1:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I don't by any food products made in china. sometimes tehre are things we juct dont have a choice on item wise, but if there are 2 products and one is made somewehre else, I buy it lol
    you would be amazed how much food is made over there. and yes, the coins are what is recalled. that doesn't mean other stuff isn't tainted and jsut hasn't been caught yet. watch things like jellos, and fruit juice. a lot of that stuff is made in china, along with some other things I've caught.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• how about checking labels anyway and not buying processed stuff?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Nope, I don't read them at all... I have been buying the same stuff for years now and it's all fine! I, honestly, really don't feel it's something to worry about.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:21 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• companies change their sources. jsut bc it has the same label doesn't mean you are getting the same product you've always gotten.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 4:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2008