Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

how do I get my parents let me raise my kids?

My mom and dad are taking over the role as my kids parents. I separated from my husband and got divorced. I had no option but to move into the basement of my parents house. My oldest son sleeps downstairs with me. However my middle son and daughter sleep upstairs. My parents do not allow me upstairs to get or disapline my children. My mom fills out all info on them and allows me to do nothing. If I upset her then she locks me downstairs away from my 2 kids leaving my oldest son with me. I just do not know what to do. I have no tv and no living room just 2 bedrooms and a kitchen. I never worked while I was married so I don’t have anyway of doing anything. My only access to the outside world is my cell phone. I was in college online but my parents. Cut the wireless router off so I failed classes and got expelled .. Any advice would be appreciated as I am at my wits end. I want my life back.

Answer Question

Asked by momof1withwings at 6:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Relationships

Level 5 (88 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • I'd move in with a friend and get a job ASAP!!!

    Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • I find this post very hard to believe... Mom of 1 by your screen name but you say you have 3. Oh and no Internet but yet here you are.. Locking a grown woman in the basement.. Take your cell phone and call 911 and take your kids to a shelter.. Much better than locked in a basement..

    Answer by midnightmoma at 6:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • Go to a womens shelter, your parents are oviously trying to control your life. Get you and your kids the hell outta there!

    Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • I know it's not ideal but I would check into local women's/children shelters. They would take you in right away knowing that there was abuse involved- and yes, I do consider that abuse. You can not be locked downstairs with no access to your own children. I wouldn't stand for it and be out of there in an instant. If you want to talk more, send me a PM. I'd love to talk to you and help you out.

    Answer by Sharell8710 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • You are too grown to let your parents do that 1st of all second of all if you don't like it MOVE OUT you can go sign up for section 8 tell them you and your children live in a shelter stay in the shelter for about a week and they will move you to the top of the list for a voucher to find a house or put you in low income housing where you only pay about $6 rent on a 3 bedroom apt. til they get you a voucher. GL growing up and standing up to your parents.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • I also suggest you growing a set of balls and telling your parents to back the hell off. I would never let my parents stop me from being around my children....I'd turn into psycho mom and knock the door down.

    Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • I honestly can't tell if you are serious or kidding.....seriously, they are YOUR kids, MOVED are basically saying your are a grown woman who allows her parents to keep her in a dungeon....get off your arse and walk away with your kids....break a window, call the cops, it's not rocket science

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • I use my cell phone to get online. My mom threatens to take my children from me if I don't do as she says. My first born daughter died when I was 39 weeks pregnant. I do have 3 other children that are with me......although I always try to keep my lil girls memory alive.

    Comment by momof1withwings (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • Your mom can't take your children from you unless you are abusing them, doing drugs, or neglecting them. You should know this. Stand up for yourself and you children, be a mom and move out of there.

    Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

  • It sounds like the abuse is coming from your parents. I would contact law enforcement and request for you and your children to be removed from the premises. You can visit your local Social Services department for assistance. GOOD LUCK!

    Answer by Raging.Pink at 12:36 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.