Are hybrid cars better for the environment than non-hybrids?

Excerpt from http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/21/cleangreen/main4959534.shtml?tag=cbsnewsSectionsArea;cbsnewsSectionsArea.3

Just to make a hybrid consumes a huge amount of energy. So, most of the people who buy a hybrid won't offset the energy that goes into making it for about five years. Consumers typically look at the product and how it will perform, but you need to factor in the manufacturing of it as well. The best thing to do is, if you already have a car, make sure it is as efficient as possible.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I want to save gas so I plan to switch to a new used smaller vehicle which will be more cost effective for me, gas wise and insurance wise. You need to think of those things as well. I have a Van... my kids are older now I really have no need for a huge gas guzzler that is killing my budget nor do I need higher insurance payments either!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• yes, if you buy one that will last forever and hold its value
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Depends- what kind of car do you currently own? Is it ready for the bone pile? If not, you have to factor in YET another car on the road, fuel costs for 2 cars running as opposed to one. If it's going to the junk yard, there is now bulk being added to landfill. How much is reusable, if any? How long and at what caustic expense to the environment will it take the parts left to denigrate? The best thing for the Earth is less production, less use, less consumption of all resources. REDUCE, reuse and then recycle.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Here's a good book on environmental issues: Green's Not Black and White- by, Dominic Muren

It offers pros and cons-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• yes

Answer by older at 8:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Hybrids are not totally recyclable, and their batteries make entire regions of the planet uninhabitable. Want to help the environment? Keep your 10 year old car for another 5 years.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• oh and so I am debating on hybrid vs non right now.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I guess I was misunderstood, hence the DVs? Reread my previous statements. NO, trading in 1 car for a hybrid is not good for the environment WHEN you factor in production, transportation and what will have to happen with the initial car (waste) The best thing for the planet is less production and consumption- no matter the item in question. Use your old stuff until it's no longer serviceable and then perhaps buy energy efficient, but the first choice should be to consume less-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Get a diesel. Drive it for a while, than convert it to biodiesel. (It costs a couple hundred bucks and even the most non-mechanically inclined among us can do it in an afternoon.)
    Just...dear god don't get suckered into that E85 bullshit.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 8:15 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'd say I agree with you. There are many cars that get excellent gas mileage that are not hybrids. People just need to to a little research before buying a car.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2010