So I have a max of 7 days before my LO gets here...planned an induction today...so those of you that have had one what is it like??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 7:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• For me, they just broke my water, and bang! out came the baby!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Get the epidural as soon as possible. The meds they give you to induce give you wicked contractions. With baby #1 the nurse made me think waiting would make the baby come faster. BULL! I got the epidural, which allows you to relax, and the baby came a few carefree hours later. With Baby #2, I got the epidural after the first contraction, because I was already dialated where I needed to be. He slid right out without pushing. I only felt one contraction.
    The epidural allows you to relax and dilate.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would never have an induction again if I could avoid it. Get to walking and having sex. : )

Congratulations on your impending birth!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• unless there is some sort of *true* medical reason to induce, why would you put yourself (and your baby) at such risk?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I've allowed an induction for my last 2 pregnancies and have had Pitocin for all 4 deliveries. I am expecting again and am hoping to avoid inductions. Pitocin is AWFUL. Even with an Epidural I could feel the contractions in some areas. I hope for your sake you go naturally. My inductions were for supposed medical reasons but after learning more about it I would refuse an induction for those same reasons if presented with them again.
    sarasquiverfull

Answer by sarasquiverfull at 7:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• when i had my daughter 6 yrs ago they broke my water also n i had her in 2 hrs but with my 15 month old son i had to have a c section done
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• my second baby i had an induction and i got to the hospital having contractions already( i was almost 3cm then) that was at 6am the nurse said oh u should have the baby by 1pm. well my water broke on it's own at 1:30 and my son was born 1:53pm with no pushing or even a doc just a nurse who came to see what all the fuss was about. lol. but mine were all good. short labors my 1st was 8 hrs and second 6hrs.
    britt_howard

Answer by britt_howard at 7:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• all 3 of mine were induced for medical reasons, but my first was my only vaginal delivery. i agree, ask for the epi asap, the pitocin brings on fast and hard contractions, they induced me at 2 am, gave me my epi at 5 Pm, and she was out at 11:58 pm. really i did like two pushes and there she was! my second was induced because she was 3 weeks late, but wound up with a cesarean due to failure to progress. third was just a planned c-section from the previous one.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My water broke and I got to the hospital about an hour later and the doc wanted to start me on pitocin b/c I was dilating. 4 hours later when they started it the contraction got stronger but not enough for me to need anything other than just a few pain meds. 4 hours later they were wheeling me in for a c-section b/c the baby's heart rate was dropping to low. I wish you luck. BTW all of this was on my due date.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My second was supposed to be induced, but the hospital told me they were too busy and not to come. We were all dressed and ready to go...had my parents drive down at 4:30 in the morning to stay with my oldest son b/c they wanted me at the hospital by 6 (and my parents live over an hour away). I was so mad that they called and told me not to come that I ended up going into labor anyway...LOL
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2010