LICE! How do you treat a child that is only 3?

My sister in law who is 11 got lice and my son has been around her. Incase he gets it how can I treat the lice? Also know and safe remedies for Adults? Im itchy thinking about it.

BeautyFromPain

Asked by BeautyFromPain at 7:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Health

• You can use any over the counter lice treatment stuff for you and your kids. You also need to wash and OVER dry everything that you can and what can't be washed needs to go into trash bags for 30 days. This is how we always treated when I was a kid. I hope that you don't get it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We are still in the lice mode, although we haven't seen a bug in DD hair since last Wednesday. Look up at the top of the page and put LICE in the Cafemom search engine. Lots of useful info. Good Luck and stay strong!!!!!!!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I hear pepermint castile soap works
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:24 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• buzz his hair to the shortest length the lice bugs wont be able to attach on less then an inch. also white vinger works to clean ur hair. we used it when we cleaned my cousins hair from lice i would go home and wash with the vingar
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 7:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt, and are great for adolescent, greasy, flakey, scalps.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms answer accept I would leave it on overnight!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• You will want to wash their hair 2-3 times after the mayo treatment, it can leave the hair looking greasy! If it's a boy I'd definitely buzz his head, if it was a girl I probably would, and then go get her a bunch of pretty hats or scarves. When we got it from the public school I buzzed my hair! It was down to my waist and so thick, it was impossible to comb out! And after going through the whol lice routine 3-4 times, and had it keep returning, I buzzed my daughter's hair, left her bangs. It grows out fast, and we never had an other problem with head lice! We checked her every day for the rest of the school year, then put her in private school,where the classes were smaller and the parents seemed to be more responsible about it. She's 17 now, long thick beautiful hair, and she still runs into kids that remember her with no hair! It happened about the same time Grandma was going through Chemo, so we told them that why!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My two girls had it several times back to back and we did EVERYTHING... washed everything in hot water, used the OTC shampoo and then moved on to the prescription shampoo and NOTHING worked until we tried putting mayonnaise in their hair and putting a shower cap on it overnight. The next morning we washed it several times with Dawn dish soap and it all just combed right out and finally got rid of it for good!
    PeachyApple

Answer by PeachyApple at 10:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• PeachyApple mentioned Dawn Dish soap...I know they recommend it for getting rid of fleas on pets-so I would agree that it should work. I've also heard leaving olive oil on overnight...shower cap,then wrap a towel around will sufficate them.Make sure to comb out the nits (eggs) because they can still hatch.Basically I'd say do the olive oil treatment (not as stinky as the mayonnaise version) then comb out...wash with the Dawn liquid dish soap as PeachyApple mentioned,then comb again.
    ZsMommy

Answer by ZsMommy at 1:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We have had our best sucess usig vinegar while you are combing out the bugs and nite.YOu quickly get used to the smell and your hair comes out soft LOL
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 3:23 AM on Nov. 9, 2010