Pregnant with an IUD

I have the copper IUD, I just took a few pregnancy tests and they all came up positive. What now? I know I have to go to the doctor and will schedule an appointment on Monday but what risks do I face becoming pregnant with an IUD? Has anyone else had this happen? If so what happened to you and your pregnancy?

(PS I'm only doing this anonymously in case the out come is not good, I have RL friends and family on Cafemom)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• With IUDs there is a HIGH risk of chemical pregnancies and ectopic pregnancies. Both show up as a positive on a pregnancy test but are in all actuality NOT viable pregnancies. I suggest seeing a doctor asap...ectopic pregnancies are deadly if not treated in time.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:06 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• OKAY...just read that you are seeing a doctor on Monday...GOOD!

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Chemical pregnancy: A chemical pregnancy occurs when a fertilized egg does not implant into the uterine wall. If a pregnancy test is taken just at the right time it will be positive, however, when a repeat test is taken several days later it will be negative.

Ectopic pregnancy: An ectopic pregnancy occurs when the fertilized egg attaches itself in a place other than inside the uterus. Almost all ectopic pregnancies occur in a fallopian tube, and are thus sometimes called tubal pregnancies. The fallopian tubes are not designed to hold a growing embryo; the fertilized egg in a tubal pregnancy cannot develop normally and must be treated or else the fallopian tube could rupture and cause the mother to hemorrhage and possibly bleed to death.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:10 AM on Nov. 2, 2008