At what age did your child/children stop being afraid of the loud noise of a vacuum?

My son is seven months old and he didnt cry the first few times but then one day... Waaaaa, he burst out in tears. He doesnt cry every time though... I just dont get it

EmpathyEve

Asked by EmpathyEve at 7:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine have never cried when I have used the vacuum. My husband says it is relaxing for them because they heard it so much while in the womb. I vacuum like 5 times a day for quite awhile each time so it is a very familiar sound to them.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Mine were never afraid of it. When my oldest was a baby, he went through a phase where the only thing that would get him to sleep was hearing the vacuum.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Mine was 3..I swear. He hated all loud noises and at 14, he still doesn't like it. I wonder if mine has Auditory Processing Disorder though.

I did get him to not freak AS bad at like 18 months...I sat him on the vacuum and made him ride while I did it. I was smiling and trying to make it seem super fun. He didn't like it, but, he was less frightened.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Until my son was about a year
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I don't remember them ever being scared of it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My two year old is still a little afraid of the Dyson vacuum (just cautious about being anywhere near it), but he's always liked the little Electrolux stick vacuum, even when he was really small he liked to be held while we used it. It's probably a matter of getting used to the sound if he doesn't hear it a lot. My son often still cries when I used our food processor. It's really loud, so it probably hurts his ears. Unfortunately, our entire downstairs is open so he will hear no matter where he's playing. I was just using it earlier to make some carrot puree, and he was saying 'Stop it, too loud!' and started crying. :-(
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My 7 week old is totally unphased by the vacuum just sleeps right through it. My 3 year old wasn't to bothered by it until she was like one and she still doesn't like it. She'll run into another room looking for comfort when it's running. I've also if it's just me home sit her on the couch and let her get her feet up on the couch and toss a blanket it over her telling her that now it can't find her... seems to work okay.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 8:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I'm not sure they ever were. I guess it didn't help when DD learned a "game" from preschool classmates to run and scream when the vaccuum was started up after class during clean up. They all thought that was great fun and even though every single parent told them to stop, it occurred every class. Then, lucky us..,she taught it to DS. They (thankfully) are losing interest in it finally.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 9:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I have never had that problem. Believe it or not, but, when my son was 5 yrs old, in order to get him to get his school work done in class they used to let him vacuum when he completed his work. I remember the graduation ceremony for that year, and when his teacher got up to the podium for the awards, she mentioned his name and said, " This is the only child I have ever come across that when I needed to get him to do his work that he was allowed to vacuum the classroom at lunch time." I wanted to crawl under the chair and hide. LOL!
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• we use the vacuum, play music, and have our other kids around at ALL times, so that they from day one are accustomed to the sound
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010