How can I help my 18mth old sleep

He wakes up alot at night for different reasons! Somtimes for no reason like I do What helps babies sleep through the night??

Zekes_Wifey91

Asked by Zekes_Wifey91 at 8:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Routine. Keep things businesslike when he wakes; feed, change, back to bed. But do know that he's normal!

Answer by gdiamante at 8:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yeah i try to keep it routine! Thanks mama and yeah i know hes normal but I hate when hes so tired he looks like a little zombie! =(
    Zekes_Wifey91

Comment by Zekes_Wifey91 (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Does your lil one wake crying for you or just wakes.....does your lil one ask for anything? I am asking only because it could be a number of things going on hun.
    momof1withwings

Answer by momof1withwings at 8:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• He wakes up crying he doesnt talk much still working on that but ill change him and find his paci and he will fall back to sleep but sometimes i hear him talking late at night then he will fall asleep!
    Zekes_Wifey91

Comment by Zekes_Wifey91 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If he is just in there talking and hanging out with himself...I wouldn't worry about it. When he is upset and you need to go to him, I wouldn't even turn on a light, wouldn't talk to him at all. Get him up, change him put him back, with paci if needed and I would leave the room. Keep it quick, quiet and calm.

Good Luck
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Get a book on teaching self-soothing and that technique when you stretch out the time between room visits longer and longer (like wait 5 minutes the first time they cry. Then, if they start crying again, wait 7 or 10 minutes before you go in, etc. And you just stay a few moments. Change them if necessary, but if not, just give a gentle touch, soothing comment, and leave them. After a few nights, they sleep through the night. I just wish I could remember the name of the technique or book. Good luck.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 9:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Getting a routine will help the most. Also, once they start crying give them 10-15 mintues to let them teach themselves how to go back to sleep. I KNOW it will be hard!
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 10:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Thank you ladies for all the wonderful advice!!
    Zekes_Wifey91

Comment by Zekes_Wifey91 (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2010