How well do you protect your SSN?

I read a list on yahoo of the riskiest places to hand it out - guess what government offices 30% of the list.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 8:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Someone is earning money on my sons ssi number in Texas. They haven't stolen his ID, just seemed to guess is number and started using it. I don't give out our numbers even at mds offices. And no birthdays (Disney, tours) . You can't change your birthday and it is a way in your reports.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Not really at all. We are military and your SN might as well be your name.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I agree with Melbornj. Being a military family, we are identified by our social security numbers. It really sucks.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My SS card is in a fire safe and locked. I do not speak it out loud, I shred everything that the number is on,etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I never carry mine with me unless I know I'll need it. I never give it out, especially online, unless it's nessessary.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I read that list too - I keep my SS card locked away and I don't give out my number - even on some applications, unless I absolutely have to.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010