Who suggests what formula to buy? I always just thought that you went to the store and bought whatever...

I am just wondering because I keep receiving free formula in the mail. Am I not supposed to use it after baby is born?

Who suggests the type of formula?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 1:08 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• You can pick chances are you signed up for something without knowing it. You can pick any type of formula you want, go to the store and find what works best for you and your infant.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:12 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• similac and carnation have the easiest digestion according to most studies. for preemies it is enfamil.
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 1:12 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Not sure what you want to invest in, but I used Similac advanced with Iron, I am so pleased with it, when my daughter is born if I can't breastfeed her as well then she will be going on the same thing my son was on
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 2:14 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• typically your pediatirician will recommend one over the other....Similac and Enfamil (the regulars of both) are similar.... both are milk based...... Similac Advance Early Shield has added pro-biotics which is a major component of breast milk, it's what the good bacteria in the gut eat in order to grow & help w/ the immune system (i know it sounds silly, but 60% of our immune system comes from our gut)... Sim Early Shield has been out in Canada for a couple years & was just approved for use here.... it shows in studies a higher immune response & less tummy upset than regular milk based formulas (like Enfamil & Good Start).
    If your baby ends up being lactose sensitive or has severe reflux, the your pediatricia will recommend a specialty formula (like a soy based..... or hypo-allergenic)
    a.butler

Answer by a.butler at 8:49 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• It all depends on your baby and if you are breast feeding. If you breast feed, then formula may not be needed. At the hospital they give the baby formula if you can not produce breast milk. I am not sure how they choose their formula they use. It was like trial and error for me with my baby's doc.
    guidance when it came to formula for my babies. It depends if you find they are alergic to milk based products then to go to a soy base product and see if that hurts thier tummy etc. I would say you choose with the guidance of your babies doctor.
    blackcat66

Answer by blackcat66 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Our Ped gave us samples of Enfamil when both my boys were born. But I BF, so we really didn't use it until they were older. but I think as long as your baby is healthy and doesn't have any problems with the formula (allergies etc) you can choose which one you want.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Your peditrician will recommend a brand but honest they usually push whatever the formula represenativies supply them with-- at least thats what my peditricians office has told me.

We made to much $$ to get WIC when our son was on Formula so I looked for deals.

I asked my Peditrician and he said we could use the Store Brand of Formula. He said the criteria and standards are so high of Baby formula that there was no differance on name brand and store brand so we could choose whatever we wanted as long as it was the same type( we used SOY because our son had issues with lactose).
    BrandiGra

Answer by BrandiGra at 12:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• If you breastfeed and are very willing to work through all the issues that will come up with breastfeeding then formula will not be needed. The only reason the formula companies send you samples are even a small can of formula.. is so that you will buy it. they don't care about your baby's health.. they just want to make money. I'd say don't even buy a can of the stuff unless you TRUELY need it. because if it is in the house then you will be tempted to use it for every little hiccup that will come up and in the end you will destroy your milk supply. Many women say they didn't make enough milk for thier baby.. but in actuallity the percentage of women who can NOT produce enough is just 2%.. I truly doubt you will be in that 2%. find a lactation consultant and/ or a local LaLeche League group. and do reseach on ways to breastfeed and what to expect the friest few weeks. try www.kellymom.com
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 3:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2008