recurrent pneumonia in preemies?

I have a 2 year old daughter who was born 31 weeks 6 days, she weighed exactly 4 pounds ...

3 days after her second birthday she got pneumonia, it was a 5 day hospital stay.. And she just had another 5 day stay this week.... She does have congenital adrenal hyperplasia, but that doesn't affect the lungs..

I'm wondering if any one else's children have developed pneumonia like this.. is this going to happen every time she gets an upper respiratory infection????

Po0okiebear69

Asked by Po0okiebear69 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's "conventional wisdom" (not exactly old wives' tale) that once a person has pneumonia they are more susceptible to it in the future. So, I would ask your pedi if your daughter should see a pulmonary specialist for any reason, or how your pedi can help to keep her pneumonia-free. Good luck and hugs to you both.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Was your child on a ventilator after birth? Was there any mention of her having Chronic lung disease (CLD) or Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD). Often babies born prematurely and who have respiratory issues requiring the use of mechanical ventilation or supplemental Oxygen, will develop some scarring of their lungs and have residual sensitives for the first couple of years. Most outgrow these tendencies.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• She was just on CPAP and oxygen.. I'll def. talk to the pedi.. just wanted to see if something similar happened to any one else's child
    Po0okiebear69

Comment by Po0okiebear69 (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son was born two weeks late. He developed pneumonia at about 24 months, then had a recurrence of it only two weeks later. He was diagnosed with asthma and since we've been treating the asthma he's been doing much better. I've read that it is more common in preemies because often times their lungs are not fully matured at birth, however my son was waaaay late so it can happen even without the child being a preemie.

My doctor said that recurrent pneumonia is caused either by aspiration (inhaling a foreign body) or by asthma. Your pediatrician should be able to tell which kind your child has by looking at the chest x-rays (if she had them) If the infection is in the same place, it generally means aspiration, if it's in different places and shows signs of inflammation then it's asthma related.

Good luck! I hope your little girl is feeling better!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son was born at 26 weeks gestation. When he was one he was put in the hospital for RSV for a week. Then this past may(he was 2) he was put in the hospital for a weekend with pneumonia. The nurse told me that with him being early and his lungs hadn't been fully developed that he would most likely end up getting some kind of sickness that deals with the lungs and breathing at least once a year. But i asked his doctor about it and she said there's really no way of knowing that. Good Luck with your LO!
    bcbmami

Answer by bcbmami at 11:00 AM on Nov. 10, 2010