Child Harness's....your thoughts/opinions on them

I've used them for both my children and so I'm pro-harness, but I was on another mommy website and people got really bent out of shape about other people using them, like to the point of using nasty language and saying parents who used them were lazy. I really did not think it was that big of a deal how a parent chooses to keep their child from running off. What's your thoughts?

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 8:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I used one a few times for my "run like a bat out of hell" autistic son.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• butterflyblue--when my autistic son was in the 'run like a bat out of hell' stage, you couldn't find a harness. I was so irritated. I really could have used one.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• See, that's exactly why people shouldn't judge those that do use them, you don't know the child, you don't the circumstances.
    Nanixh

Comment by Nanixh (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I've got no problem with how people try to keep their kids safe. I've used one occassionally.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 9:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• know the circumstances* my bad =)
    Nanixh

• I have never had a need for one. But if they work for you, great!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I used mine on Halloween with DS,2. We went to a huge block party, where they block off 8 blocks and tons of people trick or treat, there's live music, and alot of partying. I held DS hand, but when he would wiggle out of my grasp I had the harness for back up. I had a farther of another child come up and in an ugly voice ask me," Why's your kid on a leash?" I told him it's not a leash, but a way to keep my son safe, unlike your child who just took off that way." He turned and had to run quite a way to catch up with his child and then he proceded to smack the heck out of the little boy.
    Oh and my DH said that it was part of his Halloween costume.... DS wore skeleton PJs and his monkey harness, so DH said he was a political statement .....a skeleton in the closet with a monkey on it's back.LOL
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 9:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• when my son was in a car seat and I was removing it from the car, I told my 2 yr old dd to stay next to me. She bolted into the busy street. I screamed loud enough for the car approaching to hear me and he stopped just in time. I would never comment on anyone using one of those restraints.

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I had a "run like a bat out of hell" son with autism who was 3 when I also had an 18 month old and a newborn and still didn't use one. I just don't like seeing kids on them. You hold their hand or put them in a stroller. They need to be taught self control (that's what parents are for), not be put on a leash.

Answer by missanc at 9:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I actually have one that I've never used (my mil bought it thinking it was just a backpack). However, I only have one child and she isn't the run off type, so I've never needed it. I will never look down upon another parent who does what is necessary to keep their child safe. People say You treat your kid like a dog. To me, that is the STUPIDEST argument ever. If someone will do that to keep their dog safe, why is it terrible to use it to keep their CHILD safe? If you love your dog so much to make sure he/she is safe, why it is different to do this for your child? I don't understand it. Some people have nothing better to do than judge others and think their way is the only way. I'm lucky that my daughter is afraid to go too far from me. If she were more rambunctious and would run off, sure I would have used one...whatever it takes to keep her safe. Don't feel bad OP, those other women can't see past their own noses.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010