Gas in a three week old

Our three week old has gas. He is on enfamil sensitive & that helps a little. Ihave heard from a few others to try the following: rice cereal(enough to thicken formula),switch to
emfamil lipil w/iron formula or a soy formula, change bottle to dr. browns or mams,gripe water(any pharmacy) or mylicon. Our 4 1/2yr old son had colic so he was on a soy formula & mylicon and even then the colic lasted for 4 months. We spend 20+ mins burping and when he burps he still has gas, we also tried rubbing his belly & kick thing and nothing.

BabyGirl20

Asked by BabyGirl20 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Trying burping him every ounce or so. Whenever he starts to get really fussy, you can lay him across your lap on his stomach..that might help a little bit. Good luck!
    sweet_love07

Answer by sweet_love07 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• most babies have gas when they are little. Mylacon drops are good!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My kids were also gassy. The mylicon drops helped a little. They did not cure it. Only time helped with that. Their bodies need to mature and be able to digest better.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Sweet< tried both of those still nothing.
    Crazy< going to try mylicon tonight.
    BabyGirl20

Comment by BabyGirl20 (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• mompam
    BabyGirl20

Comment by BabyGirl20 (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Mylicon, make sure you burp him well after every few ounces. My mom used to tell me to swaddle my kids. Wrap them very snuggly but not so tight they can't breath. Then to get them to burp, lower their head above their feet, wait a second or two and bring them up and pat them from their bottom up to their shoulders until a bubble comes out. A warm little hot water bottle on their tummy can help (NOT HOT). Be careful how often you change his formula. Give it a week or two before trying something new. See if maybe the amount of iron in the formula is making him gassy. Some babies are sensative to it. Another formula that is supposed to be more gentle is Nutramigen. Its a bit more expensive but supposed to help gassy babies. Talk to your doctor and get their advice before switching anything though.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I swear by baby probiotics. We used Mylicon with my oldest and it helped a little (along with burping every 1-2 ounces) but it did nothing with my second. So I got some probiotics (I have Nature's Way Primadophilus Children) and put 1/2 a teasoon in her morning bottle and she is a different baby now. She went from crying 3-4 hours a day nonstop to smiling and giggling after about a week of using the probiotics. They are also cheaper than the Mylicon-a small jar is about $15 and will last about 3 1/2 months.

I also swaddled which eases tummy problems too.
    LuckyPlusOne

Answer by LuckyPlusOne at 10:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Anything with probiotic is great! My dd is on whole milk but the milk itself would constipate her so i switched her to a powder whole milk called nido and it has probiotics. Her poop has been normal since! oh and rice cereal would just make your situtuation worse because it constipates them.
    mercy928

Answer by mercy928 at 10:25 AM on Nov. 9, 2010