How do you make tamales?

My mother in law makes tamales for every christmas, but now they have moved away, and I want to keep making them for my husband who absolutely loves them, but don't know how to go about doing so... can anyone help?

momof2redhedz

Asked by momof2redhedz at 8:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• What kind of tamales? There's quite a variety of them. Could you ask MIL for the recipe? I know you use Masa (corn flour) some people use chicken/leafy greens/mole/red sauce/green sauce amongst other ingredients in them. Is his family Hispanic? Depending on what country/region they're from that can vary too. My in-laws are from Oaxaca, Mexico and down here, chicken and mole are very popular tamales fillers. Of course there's the corn husk outer shell that they need to be steamed in.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Ask her for the recipe and tell her why. Cause no matter what we tell you here it will not be the same for him. :-)
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 9:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Oh and just google tamale recipe. Tons of variations popped up.
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2010