What do you believe is the significance of a name?

I tend to think that names are declarations over the people that they are given to... prophetic almost. For instance, how Abram went to being Abraham in the Bible... God changed his name from being just high father to "Father of many nations..." My DH and I named our sons the way we did because we believe that it is prophetic... just wondering what some of your views on this were?

momof2redhedz

Asked by momof2redhedz at 9:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think there is significance in names and you gave a clear example. When God changed Abram to Abraham, it made Abraham put his faith into action, so to speak, and by doing that he became the Father of Many Nations. He had to declare it as though it was for the blessing to come, just like we are to do today. I feel that many people are called to do God's work and it's interesting that many have Biblical names. For example, my brother's name is Joshua, who was a powerful and effective leader. Long story but he was supposed to be born with all sorts of disorders and was going to be aborted when a Pastor and his wife came into the room and layed hands on my bio-mom. He was born premature and besides slightly underdeveloped lungs, was perfectly healthy. Anyway, he is maturing in his walk and I believe he will be an annointed man of God, once all the kinks are worked out :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 9:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes names in the biblical times were almost always prophetic in nature... God had a reason for Jacob's name to be changed to Israel and so forth.
    My name is prophetic of who I am ... Shannon means river, wise and God is gracious. Very powerful name for sure! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Considering these days people make up "kreative" names and there are even baby sites that will invent definitions out of thin air to legitimize those fake names, they don't really mean a thing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If names are prophetic then my daughter will be cursed after spurning the advances of a Greek god.  Somehow, I really don't think that's going to happen.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• what's in a name? a dandelion by any other name would still be a weed that little kids think are flowers.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:22 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My name is Kristina, which is a derivative of Christina, being the female form of Christian meaning "believer in Christ". I'm an Atheist. I don't think I need to tell you I don't put too much stock into the whole names being prophetic thing.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My daughter's name is Zoe which in Latin means life. My first son is Ethan Dante.. which is dark, european, rich. My baby is Anthony which has no meaning, or the meaning has been lost over time, but his middle name is Alexander. I didn't really name my kids by deciding what I wanted their names to mean, then found the name. It was the other way around.. I found names I liked, then looked up their meanings and I narrowed down my choices that way.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My name is prophetic of who I am ... Shannon means river, wise and God is gracious. Very powerful name for sure! :-)

I think it fits you perfectly :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• However, my name (Kate...OK, Kathryn) means "Purity"...so that shoots that to outta the water.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Some cultures give great importance to the naming of offspring (Native Americans come to mind), while we know the hundreds of thousands of Emmas and Jacobs out there aren't going to be all alike.

I don't see anything prophetic about names, but if it is something unusual, the person may be treated differently due to that.

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2010