When do you have your 3rd trimester ultrasound? Around what week?

I haven't had one since 19 weeks.

coolblue289

Asked by coolblue289 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Unless you are having complications there is no need for one. I'm on baby number 3 (36 weeks) and have yet to have a 3rd trimester sonogram... The only ones I've ever had where the 16-18 weeks ones...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I didn't know you get a 3rd trimester ultrasound... i thoight they only did that if you are high risk pregnancy.. but i am also finding out some states are different.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 9:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Some people only get one. That's all some insurance will pay for unless there is medical necessity. The only times I had more then one was when there appeared to be problems with the baby (I had severely low fluid & the baby appeared to have stopped growing..which it did & I had to have her early) With my first baby, only had one. (have 6 kids btw)
    Anonymous

• I'm with the other Mom's, I only had one at 10 weeks, and then I'll have another at 18 weeks to find the sex and unless I have complications I wont get another.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I had at least one/month through out my pregnancy, some months more than one; but I had a high risk pregnancy. For most pg's I haven't heard of a 3rd trimester unless it was elective.

Answer by missanc at 9:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Only had one ultrasound around 20 weeks with my pregnancies..no medical necessity for another one.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Unless it's medically indicated, there's absolutely no need to do a 3rd-tri ultrasound. You had an anatomy scan at 19 weeks to make sure that your baby has all its parts, so what you looking for in another ultraound? Weight? U/S can be off by up to 2lbs either direction in the 3rd-tri. Possibly adjust the dates? 3rd-tri has a 2 week window of error on either side. Missed the gender at the last scan? Not a valid reason for ultrasound.

Besides, the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) doesn't even advocate the routine use of ultrasound in normal pregnancies. Should you get an ultrasound, they don't recommend getting more than 1 unless medically indicated.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 9:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i got my first at 18weeks and i get my next, next week at 36weeks.i am low risk and thats how its done in most of new york.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 10:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I only got one ultrusound and that was to figure out what my baby was. I'm 26 weeks and my doc is not going to get another ultra sound unless I have to go to the emergency room. Some doctores do things different then others.
    Kate1220

Answer by Kate1220 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• They do the first ultrasound to date the pregnancy, measure the baby, look at stuff to see if it looks ok. They dont do it just to see the sex although they usually can tell you at that time. After that they dont do another one usually unless you are having problems that indicate they need to have a look in there.
    Anonymous