Everybody please please learn CPR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CPR just saved my son's life! I live with my disabled sister (she is 21 but mentally about 9) and while we never have her babysit when I took a cpr class I had her come with me. My husband was annoyed at paying the $90 because she is never alone with him. Even I started to wonder if it was a mistake when she started asking the instructer the most off the wall questions. Well, earlier I needed to hurry up and leave to go to class at the college and I asked her to watch him while I jumped in the shower. It was only going to be like 10 minutes. After a minute of washing my hair I heard her scream shouting our address like there was no tomorrow. I thought "what the hell" and hurried up and got out. Well she had been shouting into the phone where we lived because my son had gotten ahold of a peanut from who knows where and choked on it. Evidently she was paying attention during the class after all because she knew what to do!

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm ashamed to admit I do not know cpr. Sure, I was taught in high school the basics but that was years ago and though I know what cpr LOOKS like, having to actually do it in an emergency situation I would probably fail! I'm thankful so far my kids have not choked on anything as of yet, but this really makes me want to go and re-learn if God forbid the situation should ever arise. Think I will look into that very soon! So glad your son is okay!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'm a nursing assistant so i already know CPR:)
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I have been looking into CPR classes. But I just need to find the time. But after hearing this; I will make the time.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 9:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It's definitely something everyone should know. Bump!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Reading this reminded me that I really really need to go back and re-learn it. It's been years and I know it has changed since then... I'm glad everything is alright!!
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• For sure!! Thank you so much for sharing :)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• There's the new method of "compression only" that's done without the mouth to mouth. For those of you squeamish about swapping spit with an unconscious stranger, do look in to it!

Kudos to your sister! (And your husband for pony-ing up the $90 that saved his son's life!)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I walked out to her doing chest compressions and breathing into his mouth. She had tried to get it out but she couldn't and he passed out. The paramedics got here and worked on him for a minute and then just suddenly grabbed him and drove away in the ambulance. I thought he had died.
    mommytoJames512

Comment by mommytoJames512 (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Is he okay?!?!

Is she okay? I'm sure that freaked her out too.

I have taken CPR in the past but need to refresh myself.

Thank you!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I've been CPR certified for 8 years. I've never had to use it, though, but I'll be prepared if I do!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010