Has anyone enrolled their High Schooler in Online School?

I have a 15 year old who has been having problems in school... Mostly because she went to a Montessori for 4 years and found that she was way ahead of the other students. For example, in the 7th grade she was doing Geometry and Algebra II. When she returned to public school she needed to re-learn all that she had already done which made things really boring for her. She is in Geometry now again in the 10th grade public school... I'm thinking of putting her into Connections Academy where she can again work at her own pace... Hopefully school will be more enjoyable for her if she's actually learning something new for a change.... Has anyone heard of this and had positive results...? What is your opinion of Online Schooling...?

KarenJim

Asked by KarenJim at 10:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My brother went to an online school for his senior year. He did great with it and is soon going to college. It takes motivation to complete the work, though, which can be hard for some.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My brother is 15 and tried Connections Academy for two years. He personally did not have the discipline to sit down and complete his work, so he ended up failing most of his classes. If he would have stuck to his work and stayed on top of things I am sure he would have done fine. It sounds like your daughter would be a perfect candidate for online school though. She seems to have the motivation to want to work ahead of what other students her age are doing, and that is fantastic! I would say it's definitely worth giving a shot!
    staciwoods

Answer by staciwoods at 10:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I'll admit I'm a little nervous about whether she'll have the motivation to follow through with all of it. I hate to pull her from school to find out that she is then behind in her credits. At the same time, it kills me to see her holding herself back. Math was only one of the subjects she excelled in at the Montessori. She was in 11th grade reading when only in the 7th grade. She had to leave the Montessori because her school only went through the 7th grade. I remember when she entered the 8th grade. Mind you, she had already done Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II. She was starting some Trigonometry when 7th grade ended. She started the 8th grade and they wanted her to go into basic algebra (not even algebra I). She finished her work and pulled out a book. Edgar Allen Poe (one of her favorite authors) and they took it away and said it was too advanced for her. She has been so bored in all of her classes. Gotta do something!
    KarenJim

Comment by KarenJim (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Get your child out of any school that says anything is too advanced for her!!!!!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 10:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• no advice..
    but its great to hear positive about montessori schools.. i always hear bad about them.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Really...? I never heard anything about them until they were in there. Although I really wish I had. I would have put my daughters in it long before. It's set up to work at your own pace. 4th & 5th graders would be in one class and 6th & 7th graders in another. There were only like 15-18 students in a classroom with 3 classrooms set up. The teacher & her aid would go around helping any of the students who needed one-on-one attention. Some kids were in higher levels than others & some were still learning areas that needed work. They were struggling at first when they came there because they would be taught something at public schools & if they didn't understand it, it was almost like "too bad" ... time to move on. She actually fell behind because of it. When she came to this school she was able to work on some things that needed extra effort and others she breezed through... but she finished each understanding what she learned!
    KarenJim

Comment by KarenJim (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Okay....here's the thing - if you enroll your daughter in an online school - you must set her up to be disciplined about signing on and completing all the tasks during the same time every day. She can work at her own pace to a certain extent. The course work won't be done any faster than the teacher can post it. It isn't an automatic curriculum that is posted and graded by a computer "bot". There are real, qualified teachers that post the assignments, grade work, and is available to chat or email online. My daughter took her sophomore english online last summer and is ahead a grade now and my youngest son is now taking his earth and environmental science online at school and at home as an 8th grader - it is a HS course.
    Just set aside a specific time and place for your daughter to sit at the computer every day (M-F).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Always be willing to try something new. You've already seen what the B&M (brick and mortar) schools offer, don't be afraid to try virtual or online school. I have to totally agree with the other moms here, you the Learning Coach must set the standard because you are monitoring her progress and work along with the Virtual Teacher. I have 6 virtual schoolers who attend k12.com (Georgia Cyber Academy), 2 home schoolers, and 1 online college student, all of them are at home. Should you choose to pull her out, have meeting with her and talk about your schedule at home, the pros and the cons to learning at home (because there are some as with a lot of endeavors in this life). Remember that it's all about getting her the education she needs and wants. Talk with other virtual schoolers such as myself. I'll be more than happy to share my own present-day experiences with you.
    Lordgivemewizdm

Answer by Lordgivemewizdm at 3:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• my oldest son tried an online school and it wasn't successful for him, but that was because of his motivation level, not because of the program. his teacher came to the house every 2 weeks, emailed with him daily and set up his classes for his level (some were at grade level and some were below)... i would definitely try it again for another one of my kids if they need it. i have heard of connections academy, but it was too structured for our taste, so we went with an online school through our district...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 7:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2010