Would you be upset?

I got my son's school pictures back the other day and I was really disappointed. He looked absolutely adorable and actually had a real smile not his "cheese" smile. Unfortunately he had snot under his nose and it totally ruined the picture. My son is 5 and it was his first school picture. I thought the teacher would check the kids before they got their pictures done and make sure they had clean faces. He was clean faced when I dropped him off. It just bugs me. I don't know if they will let him retake the picture yet or not. Would it bother you?

kmath

Asked by kmath at 10:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There was a time when it would have driven me insane, but not any more. Here's my story. My niece moved in with us when her grandma passed. She begged for glasses, we had her eyes checked and got her glasses. However, when we recieved her first school pics, she didn't have her glasses on at all! I was furious. She was 11 at the time and that was almost 20 years ago. Now, I look at those pics and remember the fight over the glasses instead of looking at a Jr High kid who was trying to fit in her new life. My sis's kids are 17, 11 & 6. We've seen the smiles, smirks, wild hair, did that kid use a brush, why did she take her hair down after I spent 30 minutes putting it up, etc. and ALL the pics are genuine, 100%, authentically OUR KIDS. Snot and all, cherish it. In 5 or 10 years, you'll laugh and it will be your favorite. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would be, and I would want the pictures re-taken. But, one thing to keep in mind is that it's not the teachers that's getting them ready for the pictures. The teachers bring the kids down, but there are volunteers getting them lined up and etc, so maybe there's a chance that they looked him over, he was fine, and then he sneezed or something? I don't know - just trying to figure out why they might have sent him up to get the shot that way (though of course they should have noticed when they aimed the camera at him....)

You should be able to get the re-takes. And as far as the cheesy smile v/s real smile - trust me (lol - I was looking at my ds's Senior pic proofs from the school photographer last night) - as much as the "cheesy smile" bugs you now, when you look back on them yrs from now you're going to get a laugh and a smile over those "say cheese smiles" on your little guy :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• yes it would bother me, especially if u paid ahead of time. we didnt buy pictures for that exact reason, my dd is also 5. they had the pictures posted so u could go and look at them later, and order them then if u wanted, but i could never get the site up.

idk why someone would even take a pic like that. i would ask for my money back or another pic done. gl
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 10:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I didn't have to pay upfront, I just returned the pictures when I got them. I hope they will let me get them retaken when they do pictures for the kids who weren't there that day.
    kmath

Comment by kmath (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It is understandable to be upset. He should be able to have the pictures retaken and if not you can return them and get your money back. I think sometimes it is hard to make sure all the students are clean. Even if you check them right before they have their picutres taken it is not always possible. Also, it is not solely the teachers fault, the person taking the pictures could have said something.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• From what I hear they usually offer a re-take day.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Lol, thanks ladies. You guys really made me feel better about it. It was such a great picture and it just really bugged me that the snot was so visible. It definitely didn't happen right before the shot because you could tell it was dried on. I will check on the re-takes and hope they come out a little better!
    kmath

Comment by kmath (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Last year my son busted his lip open about a hour for his pre k pics were taken. You could see his poor lip all busted up. I was not happy to see that. So I called the company that took the picture and asked if they could retouch up the picture so his lip didn't look so awful. The company did a wonderful on my sons' lip. Maybe they could do the same thing for your sons' pictures.
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 12:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I hadn't thought about that. I will look into it.
    kmath

Comment by kmath (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I am in the same boat- I a;ready paid for my son's pictures and when they sent them home everything was actually good except for the bright light shot that showed through his glasses. I was shocked that they even had the nerve to send it home with my child. And now - Not only does my son have to wait for re-take day - but, alot of his friends already passed out their extra's pic's. and now my son won't get any. The main rule is : If you give a picture you get a picture.

P.S. My husband said that if the next set of pictures are like this- then were going to get our money back and take him to have them done professionally and not worry about the schools pictures. Only, problem I have with that is he won't be in the yearbook.
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 12:13 AM on Nov. 9, 2010