102.3 fever

my 10.5 mo old has had 102 degree (rectal) fever. I gave her a dose of tylenol and in an hour it went up to 102.3. She's not showing any other symptoms besides fussiness. I've given her juice. I'm going to chek her again in an hour. I just don't know what else I can do for her :(

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• luke warm bath may help
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• some form of ibuprofen. Alternate tylenol and ibuprofen every 4-6 hours.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• if it doesnt go away i would take her to the ER or call her doctor
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• should I wake her up to check her temp again, or just let her sleep??
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• The best thing to ever use for children and adults for pain or fever is not Tylenol but Ibuprofen. This reduces risks to kidney damage and it is more effective. Remember, with a rectal temp you minus a degree, so your baby's temp is a low grade one. Just the body doing it's job to fight something off. Most of the time - it will go away on it's own. Unless you see other signs of lethargy or inattentiveness or just not being herself, then maybe call the Dr. but I wouldn't worry at this point. Also, if you aren't seeing any other signs of worsening illness, you don't want to take the temp too often - especially rectal. You could damage her bottom and you don't want to that - I am sure! Going up or down a few points (10ths) is normal and not means alone for alarm. Hope she feels better and make sure to keep her hydrated. That's the most important thing!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would let her sleep and keep an eye on her every so often. No heavy clothing or blankets. Just a topsheet as a blanket is what I still use on my BIG babies! :)
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Let her sleep. The doc usually won't see them unless they have other symptoms, have been febrile for 72 hours, or it reaches 104.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• she woke up on her own. Her temp with the pacifer thermometer is 100.7, and that usually runs alittle low. But it's gone down some. I gave her some juice and formula and she's passed back out. She's sleeping sooo restless. Gonna be a long night. But hopefull tomorrow I'll have my happy back
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• sigh now it's 102.6
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 3:12 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Is it rectal or with the paci thermometer? It's not horrible - either way. Keep pushing those fluids! Anything she'll drink at this point!! I keep checking back here - so keep updating ok?
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:37 AM on Nov. 9, 2010