How do I get my two year old daughter on board with potty training without too much pressure?

I have tried:
Books about potty training, loves to read them, not much else
Talking it up, "I'm so proud of you...isn't this exciting?"
Having her watch how mommy does it
Puttying her solid waste in the toilet (from her diaper) and even having her flush the toilet
Having her pick out big-girl panties and wearing them,-feeling wet from accidents (but that she does not seem to mind
What do I do? I don't pressure her, but I feel it since daycare have given her 9 months to get this or she will be dismissed...

Abbie302

Asked by Abbie302 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Going potty is one area kids can control themselves. IF she really isn't ready she isn't going to go. With that said I would try taking her to the potty don't ask just say "OKay it is time to try and go potty." With my kids we took them shopping for stickers and then put a calendar in the bathroom. Every time they went potty they got to put a sticker on the calendar. After "X" amount of stickers they would get a treat. Like going to ice cream or picking out what was for dinner.

You are right not to push, she will get it.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We had success with the 3 day method. It worked for us in a day and a half! It's AWESOME! I'd highly suggest giving it a try, and following it to the T. You have to be patient. The first day, we had over THIRTY accidents! But day 2, he had some in the morning, and then it magically clicked! It also works for nights, which a lot of methods don't do.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I did something like the 3 day method. The first day I let her sit on the potty in front of the tv one day- to help her relax and it was just for fun and she peed a couple of times. The excitement of that helped move things along.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I am going through the same thing so I am bumping you.
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My friend's daughter wouldn't go either, so she would put food coloring in the potty and they would see what color it became when she peed in it...
    for her boys he put goldfish in the potty and him "go fishing" and try to hit them with his pee
    molly_beth13

Answer by molly_beth13 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Ok I would find yourself a new daycare. Some kids are ready at different points. Both of my boys were over three when they were ready. Once they were ready it went it went fast.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• ya i would find a different daycare cause they cant tell u, that u have so long to get your child potty trained, shes only 2 so shes fine i work with kids that are 3 and not tottaly potty trained
    dragonmomma02

Answer by dragonmomma02 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2010