Anyone know about child support when daughter in college?

I have a daughter in college and have child support but x claims I am lieing and showed proof several times,have exsisting order and he just saw a bankruptcy lawyer and said hes suing me for the child support I owe him money.

shraonn

Asked by shraonn at 10:46 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I thought once children reached the age of 18, child support was no longer paid?
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Child support should carry through with college, however it depends on the state that you are residing at. You can call the child support agency for more information.
    Kris613

Answer by Kris613 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• What is your proof? Was it in your divorce agreement that CS must be paid through college?

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It's usually written in the separation agreement whether or not the non custodial spouse pays after the child is 18 or helps with college. I know at least in CO they are not obligated to
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We received child support from my dad while I was in college, because that's how it was written in their divorce papers. The law in our state says that I had to provide him proof of enrollment by providing him with my transcripts each year. It's best to do that through certified mail, so he can't say he wasn't given the proof. Otherwise it's your word against his.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would think it would be somewhere in the seperation agreement, but I never knew you could do that our child support from my dad ended when we turned 18
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• As long as she attends college he should pay child support and half of her education. I would go to your attorney, Just because he saw an attorney for bankrupcy has nothing to do with the previous order. If it states almost all do, he would still have to pay his arrearages whether she attended college or not . Before you get too worked up i would call your attorney if you have done everything on your end, let him take you back to court and have your attorney make sure he pays all of your court expenses.
    khall9895

Answer by khall9895 at 11:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• if you have proof I wouldn't worry to much about it
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 6:51 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Child Support CAN go through college, it all depends on the child support agreement.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Sorry I wish I could help.....
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2010