Does my daughters father have custody of her if he just recently served 10 years out of prison?

I just recolated to another state and my daughter is not adjusting well and wants to live with her father and his family back home. My daughter is 13 years of age and is torn between the two sides mom or dad. What kind of rights will he have?

Kris613

Asked by Kris613 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't know but I think you should have a long talk with your daughter. If she is only 13 and her father has spent the last 10 years in prison she probably doesn't know him very well. It's probably just the thought of finally having her father in her life that sounds exciting but she should know what shes getting herself into even if she may not understand everything yet.
    Anonymous

• If you've physically had her for 10 years while he was in prision then she is yours and he will have to take you to court to get visitation if the 2 of you can't agree. She is in love with the fantasy of having a daddy and the reality will not be the same.If let to go she will be back soon! He is going to be very slefish for awhile as he reacclimates himself into the world. Perhaps extended vacation stays are more in order like over the Thanksgiving Holiday or Christmas break. Good Luck I know this is a difficult situation.....Julie
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 10:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Thank you! I have been having long talks with her, she'll not communicate with me, and her father is a very good man, out going and a church family. He just wanted to have the opportunity to raise her, and she misses her cousins and siblings. Where we are now there is only adults
    Kris613

Comment by Kris613 (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Nine times out of ten he will have rights like two weeks in the summer everyother holdiay if he get that much cause it depends on what he was in jail for
    benitaapplebomb

Answer by benitaapplebomb at 11:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It depends what he went to jail for. For some crimes she will not be allowed to visit him alone. Is he on parole? If he is I don't think she can live with him full time
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Do you think she will be exposed to anything close to what he went to prison for? You need to trust your instincts and do what you think is right. She's only 13, and she can't decide on her own. Until she is 18, you need to make the decisions for her.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2010