Does any one else feel sick reading about corporal punishment?

I hate when people give advice to hit, spank or otherwise physically discipline. I realize everyone has their own opinion and when asking for advice people will tell you what they believe, but it still makes me feel ill.

christinab313

Asked by christinab313 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• We choose not to spank. I don't want my children to live in fear of me the way I did with my dad.
    It makes me sick to my stomach to watch the way some people treat their kids. I used to hear my neighbor beating her kids when she was high (great neighborhood, BTW). I also heard my best friend get beat with a belt in the next room when I was 7. I will never forget it.
    I don't believe that discipline and punishment are the same thing, and I don't think kids, in general, need punishment; they need behavior correction and discipline, and there are positive ways to go about it. People always remark about how well behaved my son is (granted, he has a mellow nature). We use time outs primarily as our disciplinary action.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No...I think sometimes it's warrented. Getting a spanking is not equal to someone beating their child.

My friend beat her child (I called CPS) with a spatchula and left him bleeding. I've never seen a regular, plain jane, spanking causes bleeding or bruising.
    Anonymous

• Purple is calling people freaks....BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a laugh....aren't you pro-murdering unborn babies? Not to mention some of the other crap that has come out of your mouth...or keyboard I guess.

Sweetie....you SO have NO ROOM to call people freaks.
    Anonymous

• Abuse makes me feel sick. Controlled spanking doesn't. I was spanked as a child, but never abused. Personally, I don't think I'll ever spank, but I don't put down those who do, as long as it never crosses into abuse.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• IDK, I guess I just have a lot of success with positive methods, and being silly and listening to my kids- but the pro-physical advice I read always seem to be so rigid about everything. Always just concerned that the child OBEY, that the parent has to lay down the law and never figuring out what might be going on under the surface or why the problem started in the first place.
    christinab313

Comment by christinab313 (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• To call parents who spank their kids "lazy" is just ignorant. My kids get spanked, time outs, and toys/privileges taken away as punishment. Our spankings consist of 2 swats on the bottom with our hand. We don't go crazy and we don't use objects. I was spanked as a child, and it didn't affect me. It helped me learn right from wrong....it was an effective form of punishment. If you don't agree with it, then don't spank your kids....but DO NOT put down parents that do. I'm sure that there are things you do in your life that not all are going to agree is appropriate, but they're not calling you "lazy" because of it.

HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It doesnt make me sick but I do not do it personally to my children. I however saw this lady the other day wack her son on the bottom so hard he flew off the ground and belly flopped on the cement. I almost lost it and DH had to make me leave. I was so sad for him =(
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 11:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It doesn't make me sick if other people choose to do it, but we don't spank. I don't think it's right, but other parents can decide their parenting styles for themselves. I was spanked occasionally as a child by my dad, but my mom believed in different methods. With her I felt respected and actually had to consider why something was wrong not just because she said it was wrong. With the spanking, I just felt hurt, angry, and resentful and really focused on that more than what I did wrong. Luckily my dad didn't do it very often.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i am so with you!! the thought of people purposley causing physical harm to THERE OWN CHILDREN DISGUSTS ME! i just dont understand how a MOTHER could think that makes sense! its disgusting and ridiculous & i truley feel bad for there children.
    parents who spank are lazy. they dont want to have to think of a more creative intelligant way to discipline, so they figure they will just hit them and scare the shit out of them and then maybe they'll listen. how nice to do to your own flesh and blood that you WANTED to be here YOU FREAKS!!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010