How can I promote lactation?

I can only product about 1.5 ounces per pump session. I am not producin enough to feed my child so I am now supplementing formula. I want to know if there are any ways to promote lactation so that I can produce more breastmilk for my baby.

mclib

Asked by mclib at 11:28 PM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure you are drinking a LOT OF LIQUID and eating well. and relax. Your milk supply will increase in time and just keep breast feeding ever hour or two,....the more your baby wants,the more milk you will produce! Good luck!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Put the baby on your breast!! You get a hormone rush when Baby is on, and you pet down WAY more milk. DO NOT gauge what your baby is getting by what you're pumping. If you need to pump more milk, try pumping while you're at home with the baby on one side and the pump on the other. If your supply is truly low, try fenugreek, oatmeal, and mother's milk tea.
    Ultimately, the best thing you can do is nurse nurse nurse. Hopefully, you'll eventually be able to phase out the supplemental formula.
    A couple of great resources for you are lactation consultants (try more than one, because they all bring different experiences to the table) and La Leche League.
    Good luck, mama!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I'm Having The Same Problem
    TammyArms

Answer by TammyArms at 11:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i make Milk'N Cookies which are lactation cookies and they REALLY work (check out my profile for info - if you go to my doula website you will find the recipe). Are you drinking enough water? Eating enough food? Are you stressed?

Here is a WHOLE bunch of information on Kellymom.com - http://www.google.com/cse?cx=012979730609813424208:_tcsrynygvi&ie=UTF-8&q=milk+supply&sa=Search&siteurl=www.kellymom.com/

gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 11:56 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Pump for 10 minutes after each feeding. I also took the supplement Fenugreek which helped!
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 12:15 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I give the same advice as kbakeman, I had that problem with my twins. Fenugreek helped me a ton! and of course pumping 10 minutes after each feeding. Good luck!
    Rosalie30

Answer by Rosalie30 at 12:46 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Are you nursing at all? If so, just nurse, on demand, and your production will catch up. Keep in mind that what you pump does not indicate how much baby is getting at breast. How old is baby? How much are you giving in bottle? Exclusive pumping, or just bottles occasionally? Give me a LOT more info, and I can hopefully help :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:10 AM on Nov. 9, 2010