my daughter is 21 months she is still taking a bottle when is the right time to stop

anisa216

Asked by anisa216 at 2:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I WOULD SAY AROUND A YEAR WHEN THEY CAN HAVE REGULAR MILK, YOU DO NOT WANT HER TO GET TOOTH ROT FROM THE NIPPLES, GET HER A NUBI SIPPIE CUP FROM WALMART THEY ARE 97 CENTS A PIECE AND HAVE A SOFT TOP TO START, IN A MONTH GIVE HER THE REGULAR HARD TOP SIPPIES, SHE MAY NOT LIKE IT AT FIRST-BUT IF SHE IS THIRSTY ENOUGH SHE WILL USE IT. THROW THOSE BOTTLES OUT ON THE NEXT TRASH DAY, AND BE DONE WITH IT.
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 3:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• i disagree!! i was always told to get rid of bottles at age 2..one year for formula or breastmilk..one year on whole milk...theres something about the sucking motion on bottles thats helps the mouth, when it comes to learning to talk..and using sippy cups are bad for the growth of teeth..they come in all crooked and what not..plus kids get WAAAY to attached to those things! i hate seeing kids that are 3-4-5 running around with a sippy cup! my daughter never had one, she had her bottle til 2..and during the day she drank out of a normal cup..when we went out she had one of those plastic juice boxes (the ones with the straw)..but i would start cutting back your daughter with the bottle, its a tough transition, so start slowin it down now..dont give her as many ( i dont know how much you give your girl, i only gave mine one a day at the age)..give it to her in a regular cup during the day, and just one bottle at bedtime.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:59 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• DOES SHE DRINK OUT OF A SIPPY CUP MY DID AT 8 MONTHS BUT I DID STOP HER MILK BOTTLE AT 18 MONTHS AND WOULD PUT HER MILK IN THE SIPPY ! I
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• now would be the time. she should be off the bottle.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:55 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Whenever you want. Don't let others tell you a bottle is bad. It isn't. A sippy is just a grown up looking bottle. As long as she isn't taking it to be or if she is as long as it only has water in it then there is no problem. My son is 2.5 years old and still has his and I don't plan on taking it away. He will be done with it when he is ready. I had mine till I was 4 and I am prefectly fine. Also, my son also knows how to use a cup, sippy and straw. He just prefers a bottle for his milk and I don't see a problem with it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:58 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• six months AGO was probably the right time to stop. She should be ready to try cups (without tops).

But think about this, adults use water bottles!! it's not that bad. But you should try to let her develop her cup skills.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• There are two basic "windows"...
    by one year old, before they develop a good memory for missing things
    or
    once they are old enough to understand.

You've missed the first one - so did I. In a few months, I'm going to have Santa or some other mythical person come and take her bottles. She'll be old enough to understand the concept of a "bottle fairy" and being too big for bottles now.
    For now, just make sure there is only water in the bottle so you don't rot her teeth. Limit her to bottles at naptime and bedtime; she should be using a cup the rest of the day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• DD was on a sippy only at 10months. Her doc said 12 months, but she wanted her sippy so i tossed the bottle and made her formula in the cup.
    mommy2alissa

Answer by mommy2alissa at 3:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I used to think that a baby should be done with the bottle at one, but now that I am breastfeeding my two year old, I think that if he is still nursing, then why can't another child still have a bottle. Although I would say that he should be using a sippy too. I would go with sippys at meal time, and save bottles for comfort times. When you take them away is up to you!

AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 4:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Yep the bottle should be gone by now and to the lady who said she had hers until she was four. Well my mom was told to put me to sleep on my stomach and they were wrong about that too. Sorry bottles should only be used as long as they are needed then plastic cups are perfect sippys are okay but not much better than botttles. At 1-2 they are old enough to have a normal cup sometimes they get spilled and then life goes on. I have already have a child psych class and child development class are you messing you child up for life NO but are there good reasons to stop now yes, like teeth rot and bad habits.
    Anonymous